Is a local port scanner necessary?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Gnostic, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

Is it necessary or useful to have a local port scanner if you use a properly configured firewall?  Is it redundant or does it provide an extra layer of security?

2. snowman

snowman Guest

IMHO a port scanner is an essential security program when used properly.   not everyone has the same needs so this may not apply to the average user.

so just maybe the answer depends on your needs.  what goal would you being trying to achieve...etc.  if its just a matter of wanting to see if you have any ports open then a simple online scan would do the job.......without the need for installing yet one more program...."memory" is precious!   plus, there is also "resource useage" to consider.  

a word of caution I would respectfully offer to anyone....is never try playing games with a hacker...if you are experiencing abnormal scans..pings...etc...shut-down...an let your computer live for another day....don't challange a hacker by pinging him back....that may only just tell him that ..yes, you are there....an perhaps give him your address......

**remember..being curious killed the poor putty cat"

snowman

3. Gnostic

Thanks snowman.  I just want to make sure that all ports are closed and that my firewall is operating properly.  I'm not sophisticated enough to play games with hackers.  I have used the Gibson site to test ZA and it says I am stealthed.  But the test only covers a limited number of ports.  Is a more comprehensive test necessary and available?

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

You can let this site do a scan:

http://www.dslreports.com/scan

And here you can find more portscannings:

http://www.wilders.org/free_services.htm

5. Gnostic

Thanks FanJ.  You were a big help and I appreciate it.

6. snowman

snowman Guest

Gnostic

you are most welcome......an do please take a look and try the url's FanJ listed..........while you are at the "free services" page may I respectfully suggest that you try the firewall tests at "pcflank"   stealth and exploits tests...........an then if you care to you check check your browser for "privacy"

snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.