Is a HTTP proxy really necessary with Tor?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by dumpydonk, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dumpydonk

dumpydonk Registered Member

Now that one can use Tor directly with remote DNS resolution through network.proxy.socks_remote_dns = true, do we still need to use a HTTP proxy?

Why do people still use Privoxy with Tor?

Or Polipo - which I understand does a lot less filtering than Provoxy but is now bundled with Tor (at least for Ubuntu)?

Thanks.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Tor provides a multihop (3) solution to providing anonymity w/encription toward privacy. Only the first Tor node in the hop knows your ip address, but not the second nor the last hop. Only the last hop knows the destination you requested, if the DNS resolves the request. So, yes, Tor provides a 3-hop http proxy solution.

My impression is that without using Tor, one would need a service like Xerobank to get full anonymity as it uses VPN tunneling with a lot more features/services than most other providers which some at most only provide 1-hop which is less private and therefore less secure. Also, unfortunately, Xeroback is expensive.

Privoxy provides additional filtering of browser identity as I understand it (for the paranoid), but does not do pipelining which polipo takes care of for better performance, i.e. using Privoxy apparently slows performance.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.