Iron 8.0.555.1 for Windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. Daveski17

Five whole days without a bug yet ... :cool:

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's always been bug-free for me.

4. Daveski17

Ermmm ... OK. I'm not saying you're telling me pork pies LOL (;) ) but Iron has hardly been bug free for most people. The first version I ran (#2 series) managed to break its spellchecker just by me changing it from US to UK English! :eek: I have since discovered that a lot of people who changed from US to Australian English had a similar problem.

The past few releases have been much better however. Unfortunately the last release - 8.0.555 - had an often irritating *pop-up on start-up with the blurb:

Iron.exe - Unable to Locate Component

This application has failed to start because d3dx9_43.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
    :mad:

It wasn't really a problem, more an annoyance, but I've been using Iron for about two years & for a long time there has always been a slight stability problem compared to Chrome.

Either way, this release (8.0.555.1) seems virtually perfect. IMHO it is faster than Chrome, works better in Yahoo! Mail & I find its internal adblocker very useful. We can use Chrome extensions with Iron, which I think is a great feature as well. I ran Iron long before I ever ran Chrome (I changed & ran Chrome finally when Google modified their policies somewhat). I still also don't give much credence to the 'scam' nonsense either & running both Iron & Chrome gives me a choice (I often run different extensions on each). I am going to make a clean install of 8.0.555.1 on my desktop in a minute as the pop-up bug was annoying me & I uninstalled Iron from it. I have kept it on both laptops though as I often use them for watching some UK TV channels without commercial breaks, by courtesy of Iron's internal adblocker.

All in all, this new release seems excellent though. :cool:

Well done SRWare Iron team ... :thumb:

*Discussed quite a bit on their forums.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Faster than Chrome Canary Build? If so, it is fast.

6. Daveski17

I don't know about the Canaries, I'm tempted to say that they're strictly for the birds LOL! I have always thought that Iron was a bit 'snappier' than the standard release of Chrome & is definitely faster in Yahoo! Mail. Those Canaries sound fast though! ;)

7. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

I loaded this version of Iron and it is faster than the dev version of Chrome (10.0.642.2), at least on my machine. One issue I've got is that Iron doesn't want to open pdf files. Anyone else have this problem? o_O

8. Daveski17

I can get it to open PDF X-Change.

Maybe Docs PDF/PowerPoint Viewer (by Google) may help?

9. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

I figured out what the problem was. I was starting Iron with the --safe-plugins switch, which was stopping the adobe pdf plugin from starting. When I start Iron without the switch, I'm able to read pdf's just fine. This doesn't happen with Chrome because it now has a built-in pdf viewer.

10. Daveski17

OK, I'm glad you figured it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.