irfanView posssible!!! ???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowy, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy

snowy Guest

Had some time to spare while waiting for the sun to rise so took at ....irfanview....a graphic viewer program.....it was nice enough so downloaded it for a test spin....but before install went back for the plug-ins........an one of the plug-ins contain:

Contains these PlugIns: B3d, etc etc

does anyone know if the b3d mentioned in this plug -in is the spyware...........I've already got rid of inrfanview without installing....but still curious...........

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi snowy,

I happen to know this was a f/p for Adaware at one time. Because of it's name most likely.
    Irfanview is not listed in tom-cats site as containing spyware.
    You could have opted for picking the plug-ins you wanted: http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm

Regards,

Pieter

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Have it quite some time on my system and ran various B3D and other spyware scanners and never had any alarm on it. I really love the program and it's plugins, many use it and never heard anyone about the B3D or other nasties.
    To make sure, of course it's good to run the detectors frequently.

**Hi Pieter, had not seen you pressing a send button before i did :) **

4. Pieter_Arntz

No prob Jooske,

Better a reassurance from an experienced user, then a (educated) :rolleyes:guess from me.

Regards,

Pieter

5. snowy

snowy Guest

Well both the opinion of the experience user as well as that "educated guess" opinion are two highly regarded opinions in my book...........

yes the plug-ins can be picked...of course I just had to be greedy and go them all LOL
    indeed it looks like such a nice program....was real disappointed when seeing b3d...........however, it must be dormant if its not being detected......not I am curious...may give it a try after all.......
    thank you always so nice folks

6. Pieter_Arntz

Hi snowy,

It is not a question of being dormant. It just happens to use partly the same name as the malware.

Regards,

Pieter

7. snowy

snowy Guest

Pieter

ooooooh...ok now I understand.....I just re-downloaded it...will try it perhaps over the weekend
    thank you kind Sir......and nice Lady Jooske

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You're welcome! If you look at the file descriptions you'll see the B3d is for body paint images. Seeing the current version 3.80 and several new plugins really make the program even more interesting by the day.
    I used it among others to crop and resize my avatar recently, playing music, and lots more, more plugins then i might ever use, but this way not often seeing error messages of unrecognized formats.

9. snowy

snowy Guest

Jooske

most appreciate your comments........I am strongly considering giving the ye ole computer to my niece.....an want to have as many features as possible for her use.....because the computer will be locked tight to prevent tempering by others......I re-did a win95 for her school work......its really all she needs..but hoping to expand her learning tools.......she is amasingly good with computers but has no interest in them other than as a tool to reach a goal.......she will sit for hours making graphics for her school work........can really design......maybe just maybe these extra programs will be useful......

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Have a win95 here for the same kind of goal, wrestling to get a cd-rom in it and hoping to be able to upgrade it to win98se via that way.
    Your design programs might like win98se more maybe because of drivers and other requied system files, not sure, but that's up to you of course.
    If she likes design she might like to play around with the msagents i love so much to play around with, and which i've seen combined with most beautiful designs in some newsgroups at dogagent.com
    Found them included in school's sites as guides among others too.
    I've found irfan a very nice tool with so many features, in fact unbelievable it's still free!

11. snowy

snowy Guest

Josske

yup..have already mention msagents to her......if I give her my present internet computer she will be able to download the agents.....

12. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

This isn't an opinion. That is definitely just a coincidence. It's a plugin with the same name. If you install it, it will also install an extension in the registry of .b3d which Ad-aware will see as a component of Brilliant Digital crapware. It's perfectly safe and completely unrelated to BD.

13. JayK

JayK Poster

Right. That's another reason why adaware is very dangerous. I've being accused of recommending spyware just because the freeware product made a bad choice of having the same name as a well known spyware component. No idea how spybot avoid this though.

Spybot doesnt just match on names except for a limited subset of stuff and it warns you about that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.