IPV6 issues real?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I remember the anxiety generated over the lack of any new IPV4 addresses a year or so ago. All IPV4 addresses had been allocated and users were advised to check to see if their OS, routers and ISPs were IPV6 ready. I did the test too and found that the OS was ready, but that my ISP was not. ManyTech articles indicated that many routers were not firmware upgradeable to IPV6. Trouble would ensue.

Has anybody had any problems with IPV6 websites loading slowly (with IPV4)?

Has anybody had any bad experiences with their ISP over support for IPV6?

Has anybody had a router problem regarding IPV6?

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

1. not at all, I have IPv6 protocol disabled anyway.
    2. my ISP does not support IPv6 and does not plan to.
    3. my router does not support IPv6, many routers still do not.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It will become an issue in the near future, but there is still some time. An ISP would be completely stupid to not support IPv6, because it is coming whether they like it or not. There's practically no routers available now that don't support IPv6, so that's patently false. I've got "Ol Reliable" here from 2004 and it even supports IPv6.

Here's a general rundown of IPv6 for you and reasons why you may have trouble with it currently:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

When I had Comcast the IPv6 worked fine. My current provider does not offer it. The only issue I had with my router (Netgear WNDR4000, no longer online) was that if I had DHCP turned on for IPv6 and power cycled the router it would not connect at all. Turning off IPv6, connecting with IPv4, and then enabling IPv6 worked. Enabling IPv6 on the router with an ISP that does not provide it made IPv4 sites slow, but it did not impact performance on an ISP that provided both. If you don't have ISP support for IPv6, disable it in the router.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

It's one big fairy tale. Just enjoy the net.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.