iPhone auto-connect to VPN?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mattdocs12345, May 10, 2015.

1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Okay I got 1 month of PIA. How do I force iPhone to auto connect to VPN?
    OSX app from PIA allows to kill internet connection when disconnected, it also auto connects at start up. How do I get the same done on my iPhone?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Is there some "run at boot" feature on iPhone? Or is there a way to run scripts?

3. Mirjalovic

Mirjalovic Registered Member

Its should asked to install a certificate at first, like hotspot shield, betternet, spotflux etc

4. mattdocs12345

no way to run scripts. no way to run at boot option.
    Updated:
    After about 2 days of usage I have noticed that unless I change connections, the VPN stays connected. Which is acceptable but not user convenient since now there is that one more thing I have to remember. And we all know here how lazy I am when it comes to micro managing my security.

5. XIII

XIII Registered Member

VPN provider Cloak offers VPN on Demand on iOS (which is "auto connect"). Works great!

Perhaps your provider offers this as well?

(Cloak requires the installation of a mobile configuration profile to enable this)

6. mattdocs12345

Is "VPN on Demand" an app? How is this different from Open VPN?

7. XIII

XIII Registered Member

"VPN-On-Demand (VoD) is a new technology introduced by Apple in iOS 6 that allows a VPN profile to specify the conditions under which it will automatically connect."

Source: https://docs.openvpn.net/docs/openvpn-connect/openvpn-connect-ios-faq.html

So VPN-On-Demand is an iOS (the operating system of your iPhone) feature that your VPN provider can use to let your iPhone automatically connect to the VPN server.

Cloak offers an App that assists you in installing their VPN profile. After the profile is installed the App is no longer needed (unless you update settings; you can specify which networks should be trusted and which not).

8. mattdocs12345

Okay gonna give it a try :) and compare to PIA.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.