ip visibility

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by username, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. username

username Registered Member

Hi.

Could someone tell me whether my machine IP is visible to others on the internet if I'm logging in via dialup service? Let me know what more you might need to know to answer.

Thanks!

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes it is. But the address will change with each new dialup.

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi ronjor, Not all dialups are dynamic, some ISP's have fixed IP addresses, most cable and DSL's are dynamic for home users although mine has remained the same for many months. Many companies and users that run servers, pay extra for fixed IP addresses.

Username,

If you have no firewall you could be scanned and your pc compromised and especially with a badly set up firewall you are still vulnerable. Generally any packet you send for or send out must have your IP address attached.
    There are anonymous proxies for surfing the net and even for email.
    Do a google search for Anonymous Proxies, you will get a lot of results and information about how to use one.

HTH Pilli

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Pilli

It's been so long since I used dialup that I didn't reallze this. The more I learn, the less I know. Thanks. :)

5. thebaron

thebaron Guest

Here's a few places you can see what your ip address is. Try one then disconnect from the internet. Then go back and if your ip is still the same you probably have a fixed ip address if not your ip is probably dynamic (which means it changes each time you reconnect to the internet).

1. http://www.whatismyipaddress.net

2. http://www.electronicprivacy.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.