IP spyware

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by James Sentman, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello:
    I am a new Comcast Broadband user and my
    Zone Alarm Firewall, has notified me that a program (cfd.exe) which originates from a software folder called (broadjump) is trying to
    gain access to the Internest to send information packets to the Comcast home site.
    After some cursory investigation of my own,
    I have decided not to allow it to access the internet and I am now calling up the task master screen and turning it off after restarting
    for any reason. It appears to me that the Ip is
    catagorizing my usage and tracking or using the information for some purpose. They do not
    say that they are doing this and it does come
    under the category of spying on their customers, for what ever reason that they might have. I wanted to share the information
    with this forum; and maybe I am wrong about what is going on, but I do not think so.

2. Nick

Nick Registered Member

Hi, did you use the Comcast cd for the "registration" of your account? If so, then it also installs "service agent software" as Comcast calls it, and one of those is that broadjump thing that you mentioned. I also remember back when @home went under, that Cox Communications was using a cd to transition people over to their network and it installed other programs including that broadjump one.

In both cases, it isn't necessary to have those programs on your computer. I believe it's a diagnostic program to allow the cable company troubleshoot problems remotely, so they can avoid truck rolls for simple fixes. Why it's going out on it's own, I couldn't say, but I'd uninstall it or at least block permantly in Zone Alarm.

3. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

This program was probably installed by the technician who came out and set up your high speed internet connection. The program is not nessesary after the initial first run to activate service for the very first time. You may now deleate the program and you wont have to install it even if you format your drive and do a fresh install. The technician had to enter a special code that he knows in order to activate service with your cable modem to Comcast for usage authorization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.