IP Question, Looking for some info

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by AnthonyG, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I have what many people on this forum may think is an easy question but i myself am not entirely sure, and that is what exactly is your IP number, i have always had some vague idea but i am not 100% sure.

Firstly is your IP number that everyone see's while your browsing the net (such as during security measures when purchasing online as they say your IP has been logged and then they say what it is) therefore is your IP assigned by your computer or your ISP.

If it is assigned by your ISP what will happen with sites which validate you via your IP if i change ISP (which i am planning on doing).

Or is it assigned by your computer hardware or by Windows or something.

Thanks
    Anthony

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Anthony, ;)

Your IP address is assigned to you by your ISP. Which isn't always a static address, many are random and assigned when you connect - ie. Dial up, DSL PPPoE connections in contrast to cable connections where IPs tend to be static (for the most part).

Their's no concern with switching providers, web sites may log your IP address, but it isn't used to authenticate you between different sessions.

HTH,

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.