IP Blockers

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by erikguy, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Quick question... Does anyone know of any IP Blockers besides Protowall, Peerguardian, and P2P Hazard? Thanks for replies.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

look on this page listed under "I" here

bigc

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I've been using PeerGuardian for a while now and I'm impressed, however I once tried to load up a file which could block lots more IP ranges and it got very confused. Protowall gives me a message about drivers when I try starting it up for some reason.

Jimbob

4. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

this is normal error/bug? whatever u call it.
    close error and go to your network adapter:
    Start - Connect to - show all connections - Rightclick the used adapter - click properties.
    u see the protowall driver in the list like this:

disable and remove it from the list -click apply,ok
    now click install and choose "service"
    click have disc and browse to the
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\Dudez\ProtoWall\xp_driver
    load the .inf and apply..reboot PC and restart Protowall..it should RUN now ;)

Attached Files:

5. dread

dread Registered Member

I use to use peerguardian till protowall came cuase peerguardian dont block udp. Cant wait till peerguardian 2 comes out, might drop protowall then.

6. Jimbob1989

Thanks, at the time I decided to stick with Peerguardian because I did actually find out how to fix the problem but it seemed a little long winded when I could use Peerguardian without having to play around with drivers and I was comftable with how it ran.

Jimbob

7. dread

dread Registered Member

That protowall problem is from the beta. The stable release shouldnt give you a problem

8. Jimbob1989

I don't believe so. I seem to remember I recieved the same message when attempting to run both beta and none beta (not at the same time of course)

Jimbob

9. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Hey thanks, dread! That's a very important piece of information! Yeah the reason I started this thread was basically to compare features. I was looking at the links by bigc and Spanner and none of those programs seem to mention anything about being driver based, which make Protowall and Peerguardian the best. (00% CPU usage is very attractive if you ask me). As far as I know, I don't think P2p Hazard is driver based so I wasn't really looking into that one. Well thanks to all! I'll probably be trying PG2 when that comes out.

BTW, Jimbob, now that you can install the PW driver why don't you try to see if that will support your large blockfile? Mine here is almost 3MB but I know yours is bigger so I don't know how it will go but why not give it a shot?

Regards,
    erikguy

10. dread

dread Registered Member

Dont know much about p2phazard. Checked out the site. The site in a different language and they dont have a english page. Well none that I can find. Peerguardian 2 public beta is out btw if anyone interested testing it. Here is the site http://peerguardian.methlabs.org/pg2.html. The only thing about the Peerguardian 2 public beta, if you exit out of it and try to start it again it wont start and it will give you a error, you have to restart your computer to open it again. Jimbob1989 if your getting a driver message from the stable release 1.42 it is probably cuase you didnt install the driver. On the beta you dont have to install the driver the driver installs when you install the beta. But on the stable one you do. On the stable on you have to install protowall then install the driver then start protowall. I suggest you look at their forums, it is free to register http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.