IP blcoked

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mike lee, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike lee

mike lee Guest

I was wondering if this is normal, outpost is blocking a protocal... IGMP outbound to 224.0.0.22. It happens when i start up and get on the internet.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

when any application tries to use igmp protocal for the first time, outpost prompts u to allow or block. i think this is an allow or block all type of thing. i have it allowed in the global rules but i forgot what program prompted for it.

3. mike lee

mike lee Guest

so is this safe or wut?

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i found a thread in the outpost forum, and it mentions the exact same ip address so im sure it would help you.

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

"Multicast IP addresses:

224.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255
    Addresses in the range 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255 are set aside for the special purpose of providing multicast services in the Internet. (Multicast services allow a computer to send a single message to many destinations.) Various addresses in this range are used by routers and others are used by hosts that are listening to multicast sessions.

These addresses are available for any host that wants to participate in multicast, and typically are assigned dynamically. The source address should not be multicast (without prior agreement). The destination address may be multicast. For technical background information please see RFC1112 and RFC2236"

http://www.iana.org/faqs/abuse-faq.htm#SpecialUseAddresses

As was mentioned in the link provided by WSFuser you should be fine just blocking it.

Another link discussing multicast: Internet Protocol Multicast

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.