ip address

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by carlito77, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlito77

carlito77 Registered Member

I know this topic has been covered before but I'll ask again and sorry for the redundancy. But Is it technically impossible to hide your ip address? I mean really hide it and become invisible on the net so not even the NSA can track you down. I'm not trying to hide from the law, is just a philosophical curiosity.

2. Empath

Empath Registered Member

You're not "viewing" things on the net. You're "receiving" things on the net. Everything you receive, gets there because your IP is available to be addressed as the recipient.

You can avoid showing who you are through such tricks as proxies, but you're only wearing a mask. You can't be invisible.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Moved Thread to this Forum for More Exposure!

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

According to XBSteve, the NSA has the ability to stand back and trace connections even if you are using a multi-hop VPN with servers spread out across the globe. But it is possible to hide your IP from just about anyone else, as far as I know. I guess it depends on what you're doing. Unless it's really bad, the NSA is not going to spend time and resources to trace silly stuff like downloading or general mischief.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi carlito77,

About the only scenario that could possibly work is via an illegal hack (crack) that hides itself on a compromised platform and uses a shadow process of a running process to run a browser or other software that accesses the Internet from the compromised computer's ip address. Essentially, the scheme would use the compromised computer's ip address, but be remotely controlled by the cracker connected to the compromised computer - as long as the crack goes undetected. Note: the cracker's ip address is in play even if it is routed through ssh + vpn tunnels to the compromised computer, but only to pass commands to its doppelganger - and would likely not compromise the cracker's ip address.

That said, I do not endorse nor advocate such a scheme for honest and ethical hackers.

Seems like it would be a bit cumbersome (for the impatient), and slower than Tor!

-- Tom

6. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

no you can not. Your imei is a cookie that cant be removed. But with a mobile phone disconnecting from the net reconnecting you get a new IP

Em from your pc to your ISPs gateway is unprotected. As soon as you log on your isp sees you. So no need to go through anything. Then theres google which they just subhoena

7. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Yeah, but they can't subpoena Google (or your ISP) if they don't know who they're looking for in the first place. That's the whole point of using anonymity services--to make it harder (if not impossible) for an adversary to trace your communications back to your real life identity.

8. zero_Phil

zero_Phil Registered Member

Isn't TOR the tool for the job here?

9. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

I noticed you wrote this in several posts.
    What's the problem, you can buy cash, a second/third/fourth-hand GSM and buy cash a pre-paid sim card.
    What would be the issue then with the GSM IMEI going around the cellular network?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  10. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

a Good way to Hid your Ip

Rent a Server A small shared one for every day use

it's not practicle but it will protect you

BTW Don't use it For Banking or any importent Data

11. caspian

caspian Registered Member

What does Em stand for? And as for a subpoena, according to Steve, they would have to have a subpoena for all of the jurisdictions at the same time, in different countries. Plus the servers are encrypted. It would not be an easy task.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.