Iomega Zip Drive and Ancient 250 MB Zip Discs

Discussion in 'hardware' started by hawki, Feb 16, 2015.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Can you use one of the original Iomega Zip Drives that used the original 250 MB version of the Iomega Disks with Windows 8.1.

I have seen listings for Iomega Zip Drives on Amazon , as well as what appear to be the appropriate female Serial Port to USB Converters.

What is not clear in any of the listings is whether my old zip drives require software that is compatible with Windows 8.1 or whether the Zip Drives being offered on Amazon accept the original IOMEGA Zip 250 MB Disks and are also compatible with Windows 8.1

I have a number of the original 250 MB disks that may contain info that may still have some value to me. They are at least 16 years old or more. I was gonna just dump them all, but I thought I'd ask before doing so.

I live in area that is very humid for a large part of the year. I have had CD's degrade here to the point of being unusable after 7-9 years. Will my ancient Iomega Disks be OK?

I just noticed on Microsoft Answers that Windows 8.1 does not recognize/work with the Iomega 100MB Zip Drive, but don't see anything about the 250MB Zip Drive.

NVM - think I'm just gonna dump them :) I am not a historian.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

There is a USB powered 250mb Zip drive that would probably work with Windows 8.1 since it is seen by the OS as a USB mass storage drive. The parallel 250mb Zip drives are not likely to even with an adapter. The SCSI 250mb drives have found a niche market in old samplers and drum machines that had SCSI ports and can sell for prices much higher than other zip drives.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I was able to get a parallel zip working to full performance spec on XP, but it required a complete usb-to-parallel cable, not the cheap $20 ones. But instead a full featured port costing $179..

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thank You MisterB and Keatah for your valuable information :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.