Iomega Norton Zip Rescue

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FanJ, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Many thanks to Randy who pointed to this at the DSLR Security forum:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,4158148~root=security,1~mode=flat

[hr]

http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2001102513305109?OpenDocument&src=hot&prod=Norton%20Utilities&ver=2002%20for%20Windows%20Me/98&stg=2&base=»<A%20HREF=

What Symantec says about Norton Zip Rescue:

Also, because customers have expressed a preference for alternative media and methods of backup, Norton Zip Rescue has been discontinued. Norton Rescue (without the Zip option) is still included with Norton Utilities 2002, as are the Emergency disks. While there is no replacement for Norton Zip Rescue included with Norton Utilities 2002, Norton SystemWorks 2002 includes a similar utility called GoBack, made by Roxio.

[hr]

You can download now Iomega Norton Zip Rescue for free:

http://www.iomega.com/software/nzr.html

Some quotes from that site and from their FAQ:

Supported Products:
    Jaz, Zip (not for use on Zip USB drives)
    Platform:
    Windows 95/98
    File Size:
    7.9MB
    Version:
    Date:
    15 Mar 2002
    Other Requirements:
    Intel 80486 DX or higher, 16MB RAM, view other system requirements

Is the free version of Norton™ Zip Rescue™ (NZR) different from the one available on Norton Utilities?
    The version of NZR offered as a free download at iomega.com has the same easy to use operating-system rescue features as the version included in Norton Utilities. Iomega.com will have the latest and greatest versions of NZR, and we advocate established Norton Utilities users downloading the latest version.
    An added bonus to downloading NZR via iomega.com: Symantec is offering a $20 promotional discount on Norton Utilities for users who download NZR from Iomega's Web site.

General Description:
    NZR keeps you running! Restore failed systems in minutes with a Zip Rescue Disk and Norton™ Zip® Rescue™ software. And best of all, it's FREE, courtesy of Symantec™.

Create your Zip Rescue Disk:
    1. Download Norton Zip Rescue
    2. Install the software
    3. Create and test your customized Zip Rescue Disk
    4. Store your Zip Rescue Disk in a safe place

Features:
    Disaster recovery software on a single 100MB or 250MB Zip disk.
    Quick and easy system recovery.
    Works in familiar Windows environment.
    Custom rescue disk maintains your unique settings.

NZR keeps you running!
    Every once in a while, something gets out of sync and Windows won't boot. Then what do you do? Now, you don't need to be a computer genius to fix common Windows problems. With NZR you can find and fix common problems like Windows registry corruption, partition table damage, virus contamination, missing or damaged system files or boot record damage.

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I don't know whether you can run it at Windows ME .....

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I installed it on my Windows 98 SE Dutch: installation was fine (I have an older version of NAV installed: 2000 Dutch)!
    I have an internal ATAPI Iomega Zip 100 drive.

It installs also a lite version of Norton System Doctor (SE) that warns you when you need to make new rescue disks; you can choose not to install that one.

For the first time in many, many months the test-drive after making the Zip rescue was doing fine.

I got a warning message that 2 files were missing, but I ignored that. (see also screenshot)
    The missing files were:
    sigres.exe
    wsock32n.dll

I have to look further into that; maybe I can find more info about those 2 missing files.
    Maybe I also have to install newer drivers for the ZIP-drive.

Attached Files:

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

About that missing file wsock32n.dll:

It's indeed not on my system; it's still not clear to me why not. (Enabled SockLock was not the reason: with SockLock disabled, I still cannot find it).

Searching the MS dll-help-database gave me:

Attached Files:

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Need a copy, Jan?

Attached Files:

6. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) My first impulse was to offer what Paul has above. A friend in need. I found this link. (I'm good at finding things.) Hope this helps or contributes somehow. Most of the listed apps are freeware and excellent.

http://cws.internet.com/32winsock.html

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Paul, thanks :); maybe I'm gonna borrow those files from you.

Hi Prince, thanks for the link :) , I will look at it.

Both files are missing on my system; I don't know why and whether they should be on my system.....

In the meantime I also asked Iomega support about it.
    Within a few hours I got a reply:

[hr]

Thank you for contacting Iomega Online Support Services. I can understand your concern regarding Norton rescue disk. As you mentioned you are getting message message that 2 files were missing: wsock32n.dll , sigres.exe, these are your system files which must be present in c:\windows\system directory.

Norton Zip Rescue may work without these files but I would suggest you to restore these files. Kindly follow the steps to resolve the issue:

1. Boot the PC in safe mode. Safe Mode is a special way for Windows to load when there is a system-critical problem that interferes with the normal operation of Windows.

a. Restart the computer. When it says Starting Windows 9x, hit the F8 key. (You can hold down the Ctrl key during bootup to force the Microsoft Startup Menu to appear.)
    b. From the Microsoft Startup Menu choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only. This will bring you to a DOS prompt.

2. Uninstall all Iomega software including NZR from the computer.
    3. Reboot the PC.
    4. Open the Temp directory (C:\Windows\Temp). Delete all files in the Temp folder.
    5. Empty the Recycle Bin.
    6. Now, install all latest Iomega software for the drive. You can download all Iomega software for your drive from the following link:

http://www.iomega.com/software/index.html

Please select your drive, operating system and language from the drop downs. Now, you will find direct link where you can find all Iomega software's for Zip drive, specific to operating system.

Follow the link to download Norton Zip rescue:

http://www.iomega.com/software/nzr.html

[hr]

So first I'm going to do that; will see if it helps to install the latest drivers for the Iomega Zip drive...

Cheers from your friend, Jan.

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

On a side-note:

Iomega has more free software.
    One of them is Iomega Backup:
    http://www.iomega.com/software/iobackup.html

[hr]

Supported Products:
    Zip, Jaz, Peerless
    Platform:
    Windows 95/98/Me/NT SP4, XP and 2000 Professional (administrator modes only)
    File Size:
    6.26MB
    Version:
    Date:
    21 Sept 2001
    Other Requirements:
    Pentium 100Mhz or higher, 20MB of hard drive space

General Description:
    Iomega Backup™ software allows you to easily back up selected files/folders or do a complete system backup to an Iomega® drive. When necessary, it also allows you to recover your system or files from the backup location.

Key Message:
    Your system and data are backed up and safe!
    Choose between no-hassle backup with "1-Step Backup" or complete control with "The Works."

Features:
    Choose between full, incremental, or differential backups.
    Choose to have Iomega Backup automatically back up your files on a schedule you determine.
    If something goes wrong, restoring files is simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.