IObit Advanced WindowCare

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rawr, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rawr

rawr Registered Member

2. toploader

toploader Registered Member

there is one user review on Softpedia concerning this product - less than impressed by the looks of it :D

http://www.softpedia.com/progViewOpinions/12-2-261,.html

think very carefully about what you let loose on your virginal machine if you don't want it violated and trashed - there is so much crap being peddled out there - i know, i've downloaded most of it. :D

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  3. rawr

rawr Registered Member

Hmm..it didn't do any of what the user had posted as a review..but the stuff he posted made me nervous enough to uninstall it. Thanks. :cool:

4. toploader

better to be safe than sorry rawr, it may be a rogue review for what is an ok product - personally i prefer to wait until i've read at least a dozen reviews of a product before trying it out. with new freeware you are effectively a beta tester for it - it may run fine on your machine or you may discover all the bugs :D

5. rawr

rawr Registered Member

Grrrrr... I think it messed up my Windows Disk Cleanup utility. :mad: :mad: When I change the option to when Disk Cleanup should compress my old files from 50 days to 1 day, it won't compress it. But when left on the default value '50 days' ..it compresses my old files. Well I learned my lesson..don't be so experimental with programs anymore. :(

6. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Your disk isn't getting near full is it? Ironically, it takes free space to compress your files. (or it needs space for compressed files to expand)

I read that review. It sounds like the program may be for users more advanced than myself.

I think Hadi should try it and then we would have something more solid to build from.

- HandsOff

7. toploader

that's a bummer Rawr - you do have to be so careful with freeware as it's the unsuspecting public that tests it out. i found another review of it where the poster said it messes with system restore points.

i've decided to steer clear of all tweaker and optimiser software unless i really need it and then i will probably use well established software and read the reviews very carefully.

8. rawr

rawr Registered Member

I am only using 7 gigs of a 40 gig hard-drive...arrrrgggghhh..is there anyway to re-download the Disk Cleanup program? ..other than re-installing Windows XP?

9. HandsOff

if odd things are happening on the drive, perhaps chkdsk can find and repair.

Just for fun you could try. Do this:
    Start, Run, cmd, chkdsk /f

(Start button, run button, type cmd then enter, type chkdsk /f then enter)

it will tell you volume is locked and do you want to ....answer yes.

type exit

restart computer

(a little prayer at this point might help)

-HandsOff

10. rawr

rawr Registered Member

Didn't work..and it seems that whenever I re-boot and run disk cleanup each time, it compresses only 3,000kb from the total amount of kb before it stops compressing. Seems like I should just format again.. blah :( :( :(

11. HandsOff

Didn't work? What happened?

-HandsOff

12. rawr

rawr Registered Member

Well..I scheduled a checkdisk on a re-boot..went through the 3-stage process of checking the disk..but it didn't fix Disk Cleanup. :(

13. HandsOff

Well, actually, that could be considered good news.

I did a search out of curiousity, and Microsoft
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312/EN-US/

Had this to say:

The Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding

Article ID : 823302
    Last Review : July 13, 2005
    Revision : 1.5

SYMPTOMS
    When you try to run the Windows XP Disk Cleanup tool, it may stop responding.

CAUSE
    This problem occurs because you have a corrupted temporary file on the computer.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, delete all the files in the current user's Temp folder, and then delete all the user's temporary Internet files. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type: %temp%, and then click OK to open the Temp folder.

2. In the Temp folder, on the Edit menu, click Select All, press the DELETE key, and then click Yes to confirm that you want to send all the items to the Recycle Bin.

3. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.

4. On the General tab, click Delete Files.

5. Click to select the Delete all offline content check box, and then click OK.

6. Click Start, and then click My Computer.

7. Right-click the drive that you want to clean, and then click Properties.

8. Click Disk Cleanup to run the Disk Cleanup tool again.

STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
    REFERENCES
    For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    310312 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312/EN-US/) Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP

--------------------

I don't remember if you said you did a restore or not. From my experience, doing so will cause XP to think that the recycle bins are corrupt, so you may want to delete those as well.

Lastly there are 3rd party programs that perform the same task, only they tend to include a broader range of things to clean, most notably browser cookies and temporary internet files and old windows logs. I use Webroot's Window Washer (which costs money, unfortunately). Some people like CrapCleaner, which is free, but I think the default settings are too agressive. I'm sure there are others out there. They are worth considering.

- HandsOff

14. rawr

rawr Registered Member

Hmm...I don't think that would have solved my problem as I do have both CCleaner and Webroot's WW installed. But anywho..thanks for all the help HandsOff but I took a day off of work today to reformat my hard drive. I had forgotten how long it takes to reformat, reinstall windows, reinstall all my software I backed up..then tweaking options to personal preferences..then finally clean system and defrag. Gggrrr..all this hassle for a program.. bah-hum-bug. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.