Invitation to Wilders Members to beta test a Security Advice Wizard

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ako, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ako

ako Registered Member

This is an open invitation to Wilder's members to participate in a closed beta test of an exciting community security initiative over at Gizmos Freeware.

For those unfamiliar with Gizmos Freeware, this is a non-commercial, community-based site that provides advice and recommendations on the best freeware products.

For over six months we have been working on a security advice wizard. The purpose of this wizard is to provide personalised guidance to average computer users how they can best defend their computers from malware and other security threats using free products.

The wizard works by asking the user questions to determine their risk level, technical skills and the operating system they use . It then attempts to come up with custom security advice that is appropriate for that user.

We are inviting all Wilder's members to participate in a closed beta of the security wizard to help refine the recommendations of the wizard.

When completed the security wizard will be offered to the general public free of charge as a community service. We encourage your participation and advice in this community project to provide average users with the best possible security advice.

To participate in the closed beta click the following link.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/security-wizard-beta-test-program.htm

We thank LowWaterMark and BlueZanetti from Wilders for giving us approval to make this post.

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

will try this out

3. subset

subset Registered Member

If you take the 64 bit route, then you end up with Comodo and OA as Firewalls.
    (There are two great choices available to you for your firewall:)
    This is a bit misleading, as OA does not support 64 bit.

Cheers

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It's a good starting point, but there's more that can be taken into account, such as the users ability to detect/prevent changes to their running processes and systems files in real time, level of registry defense in place, use of virtualization, HIPS and the users skill in configuring it, system policy, LUA, SRP, etc.

I realize it would be difficult to account for such variables in a wizard let alone assign a weight to the potential responses. I'm assuming that this targets users who haven't or don't know how to implement these types of defenses.

5. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

it is designed for average users, i think that the expert ones don't need a wizard to choose their security application:)

Good work ako, I will do it a try!

Regards

6. ako

ako Registered Member

There have been several persons working for this at Techsupportalert. Thanks a lot to you and to everyone else who contributes here at Wilders!

P.S. There are some parts I don't yet like. Drivesentry eg. should be changed to something else,

(see eg. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showt...35#post1546635 )

perhaps Threatfire?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  7. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

I just write a comment saying that!! ahah :D :D

8. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Very cool, I'll give it a go.

9. ako

ako Registered Member

Telepathy proven? :thumb:

10. ako

ako Registered Member

Many useful comments already, but more are welcome! :)
    C'moon gyus and gals, use your expertise!

11. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Is that the same as a closed invitation to an open beta? :D

Just gave it some test runs, i must say it's a really good idea and can be expanded in to a great resource.

One tweak i noticed, i chose XP on one run and got:

That could be dropped/changed based because it's known the user selected XP. Also on another run i chose i didn't know how to end tasks, and didn't make images/backups.

I didn't see any link or advise for any backup/image solutions, so maybe that could be suggested.

Overall though, very good start.

12. ako

ako Registered Member

Thx, I'll pass these comments (forward) :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  13. cet

cet Registered Member

I made my comment.

14. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Nice "guide" and "resource central"..

Ian has achieved some recognised credibility ( always had it in my eyes ) since he was regularly attacked here when posting his reviews of various tools.
    Took the criticisms with equanimity at the time. :)

I like the Windows Secrets subscription model :)

@ ako: to me, problem with asking people here to review is one of bias: the questions themselves seemed fairly low-end.
    Maybe better to find a more naive population/sample for reviewers/testers.

The survey is clear and easy to follow, recommendations ( apart from my personal bias against Comodo as an option) seem fine and a nice framework for users to get experience and exposure without being overly techie.
    Regards.

PS :needs a big notice re running scripts in page and safety of same at the site. ??
    Needs qualifiers re scripts at other sites. ??
    Second that.

PPS:
    have now done the survey as "high risk" user: the advice gets complex quickly and attention might wander.
    Nicely scripted product descriptions and analyses.
    ?? no recommendation re PrevX free ??
    LOL, I'm not sure MJReg watcher is a tool that I'd have high on my list for beginners ??
    There is a lot of smallish dense looking print per page with small graphics: maybe some design/layout changes ??
    Regards.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  15. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Some mention of virtual operating systems would be useful. Software like VirtualPC, VirtualBox, etc isn't that hard to learn and can offset a lot of high risk activity.

There should be some mention of the importance of a security policy or strategy. The security policy is just as important as the software that's enforcing it. It would also be good if there was some mention of alternatives to the conventional default-permit based approach used by AVs. Default-deny is an extremely effective policy for users who aren't constantly changing settings or installing new apps. No need to go into details on the site. Just some links to sites that explain the policy and how/why it works. A reasonably intelligent user can implement a basic default-deny policy.

16. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Great idea, ako&others
    Imho the 'low-level' approach is actually recommendable.
    Enthusiasts have Wilders where experts reside and for the average user there are quite some fora to choose from.

The Security Advice Wizard comes up with decent packages, from 'mum&dad'-level to 'advanced thrillseeker', so I think it works.

I'd also change DS for ThreatFire and emphasize backup/imaging and indeed keep it simple.
    'Haute Security' lingo about SRP and virtualization will chase people off.

The only 'critique' is on the advice given at the bottom of the page, when I chose 'high-risk'.
    Among other things, it mentions not to install dowloaded torrent files.
    Imao, if you ask someone whether he visits crackz/warez sites and the answer is yes, a warning should be included that warez and crackz can still negate all security measures and make them utterly useless.
    Some kind of firm warning at least so it's crystal clear, the SAW doesn't offer a carte blanche for the dark side.
    Cheers.

17. ako

ako Registered Member

Thanks for comments!

@Longboard:
    to me, problem with asking people here to review is one of bias: the questions themselves seemed fairly low-end.
    Maybe better to find a more naive population/sample for reviewers/testers.

True, but they would not know what to recommend and why.

?? no recommendation re PrevX free ??

I would of course, but it does not remove so it could be considered advertizing?

@noone_particular

We have to keep it simple. :oops:

@Baserk

Good points here.

18. gizmo!

gizmo! Registered Member

I'm posting to thank all the people here who have contributed to the closed beta test of the security wizard.

Between the comments made here in this forum and those posted to the wizard itself, we have received lots of useful suggestions, the majority of which have now been incorporated into the wizard recommendations including the replacement of Drivesentry with ThreatFire.

We are hopeful that the public availability of the wizard will make a small but useful contribution to Internet security. I hope all those here at Wilders who participated feel a little proud that they have contributed to this.

In recognition of your contribution we have included a public thanks to Wilders in the wizard documentation. If you login you can see if the acknowledgement here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/security-wizard-documentation.htm

We will leave the special beta test login open for another day or two prior to the public launch of the wizard on October 8.

So from all the members of the wizard development team over at Gizmos Freeware, a heartfelt thanks to all those at Wilders who contributed to this free security project.

Gizmo

19. ako

ako Registered Member

:thumb: To all!

20. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i found this gizmo site to much stuffy with words :)

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i found Online Armor premium for Free At Gizmo;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.