Invisible Secrets Encryption Suite

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Infinity, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I am now convinced of the importance of encryption. I was stumbled across Invisible Secrets about 2 weeks ago and I was planning to purchase CryptoSuite from DCS.

But now I am thinking about Invisible Secrets which has more features. Is anybody out there that can help me out on good Encryption Software?

maybe someone use/used Invisible Secrets

http://www.invisiblesecrets.com/invsecr4.html

maybe someone has a better option? thanx in advance

2. ,.-

,.- Guest

The last time I had a look a Invisible Secrets I figured out that there is a detection algo which can determine whether a file is encrypted with invisible secrets or not. This does not mean that the encryption is weak. However, the stenography feature - at that time - was more or less obsolete.

3. Infinity

Thanx in advance!!!

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

INFINITY

Here is a good link to encryption software.

Bruce Schneier

5. Infinity

THANX AGAIN Ron, just what I was looking for.

inf.

6. Glad to see your new interest in encryption. Choose correctly.

Consider your needs......encryption programs offer assorted uses....BUT THE USE OF WEAK ENCRYPTION IS NO ENCRYPTION AT ALL....

Good reading:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=3919

encryption is a world unto itself........member Lov2BSecure has extensive experience on the subject.

GOOD LUCK

oh....just for the heck of it.....if you have a spare moment......take a look at an old program called Scram disk.......or something else like E4M........just to get an idea of encryption uses...

7. Infinity

Thanx Snowman, much appreciated, I don't know where to begin or what to thrust cause at encryption I am quite a noob... but can someone here point me to a app with strong encryption? is rijndael and blowfish strong, the thing I read about it is YES, definately but so if there is a program that uses blowfish or rijndael with 256 bit key encryption: it is therefor a strong encryption.
    I hope I am correct about that.

who can point me to an app which he would trust on his own pc. Thanx!!!!!!!!!!

8. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Guest

But of course I am most will to help if I can.....un-fortunately my os is either Linux or win98se.....the encryption I use may not work on your os....as I recall you use XP ?

Some programs to glance at: Fine Crypt....E4M...Blowfish Advanced Pro (algorithms like Blowfish, Twofish or Triple-DES. Random data is generated with Yarrow)

about FineCrypt

Highly secure encryption with a single mouse click (without entering password or key); Secure communication with other users of FineCrypt; Creation of encrypted archives with which you can work like with zip-archives; Creation of encrypted self-extracting executables, which can be decrypted without FineCrypt; Encryption of files, directories and whole directory trees; Encryption with password or with user encryption key; Advanced key management; Secure delete feature; Statistical analysis of ciphertext; Full integration with Windows shell, including drag-and-drop; FineCrypt is the only program which you can check for correctness of encryption; 10 strongest encryption algorithms, including 5 AES finalists: MARS, RC-6, Rijndael(AES), Serpent, Twofish; 4 encryption modes: ECB, CBC, CFB, OFB (see FineCrypt's Help for details);

About E4M

E4M Encryption for the masses is an on-the-fly disk encryption product. What this means is create a volume on your hard disk, CDROM, floppy or other media which is essentially just a normal file. The file however is in fact a file system itself. It contains all the structures needed by your operating system to recognise the file as a file system of a particular type such as FAT or NTFS. This is called a "file hosted volume". Or you could choose a blank or unwanted partition on a local hard disk or floppy disks and format it using E4M. You can then mount this new encrypted volume, and use it like you would any other drive. This is called a "Raw partition volume". The only difference is that Raw partition volumes do not have a file system in the middle, so they provide an encrypted file system on top of a Raw partition. As opposed to file hosted volumes which need an existing file system to "host" the volume file. An example would be a E4M volume called "myfiles.vol" located on the C drive, rather than the same volume located on the second partition of your hard disk. To your operating system, these new volumes will work exactly like your C drive, or any other drive on your system. Tools are provided to "mount" a volume, and to create a volume. The process of mounting a volume involves pretending that the volume file or partition is in fact a removable media device attached to your system.

F-Prot Desktop Encryption A superior encryption program featuring Blowfish or Triple DES

TrueCrypt 1.0 Based on E4M, (encryption for the masses) an excellent file and folder enryption software app.

That should give some ideas

9. Infinity

greatly appreciated Snowguy, indeed, winxp user, I'm downloading it now, it is a quite interesting new world to be honest,

thanx

10. Great! Ah yes...you will have some fun now.......anyone wanting to mess with your computer best bring lunch...supper.....for an indefinite time.

An now that you are getting into thias.....do install some nice desktop "locking" software......remember "layer"........

11. Infinity

lol, you rock man

great.

12. LOL....Its Still Rock-N-Roll To Me....LOL

seeya later........GONE FISHING

13. Infinity

Have fun Fishing , and thank you all for your comments, I will have a lot to learn like allways lol...

have a nice eve

Inf.

14. You are most welcome.....you are also deserving of the compliments......cause you are doing just fine.....

at some other time perhaps the topic may come up relating to making files "transparent" after encrypting them.....but for now

off to find some rainbow trout.........hopefully...lol.....

15. TallTim

TallTim Guest

The only problem I have heard with encrypting your hard drive (not sure about individual files) is that you can't restore images of your hard drive correctly made with programs like Ghost and True Image. So that's what prevents me from encrypting my entire hard drive.

16. securityuser

securityuser Guest

I strongly suggest staying with open source programs. For container and partition encrypting, Truecrypt is awesome.
    http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

Individual file encryption, try Axcrypt
    http://axcrypt.sourceforge.net/

Invisible secrets uses strong algorithms, but the program itself is closed source. Who knows if it works or not? The interface is not what's important. Both of the programs I mentioned are excellent, open source and FREE.

17. Infinity

Hi I am trialling it now for a week and this is one of the best security programs available. I tried Cryptosuite too but all the features, miles ahead then the rest. it has even a locker and can hide files into other files and stuff. I am sticking with this one.

this is tha bomb if you ask me.

Attached Files:

18. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

19. Infinity

yes, I know Gerard, I read it and at the end it comes down to this.

you gotta feel you are secure, what if someone doesn't feel secure with let's say axcrypt or bestcrypt? I feel good with this program, especially the hiding of files (which is tested by experienced and known authors and cryptographers). the cryptography: so Diamondcs wouldn't be secure too, just because the code isn't public and it isn't tested by famous cryptographers? nope doesn't work for me.

open source isn't a garantee it is better. it is just free and has a huge community. that I can give you.

but this product is a lot more then the critics on that forum.

20. LockBox

It's your security. Invisible Secrets has a nice interface, but who knows if it works? Diamond CS as good as they are and I love ProcessGuard are not cryptographers either, so no I wouldn't consider their crypto program. They are programmers not cryptographers I think cryptography is the one application area where closed source will not suffice. But in the end, it is your security. Hope it works out for you.

Gerard

21. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Wouldn't you hope that whoever made a cryptographic program was good at both rather than only good at programming or only good at cryptography? :)

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would turn that around and suggest someone who can be innovative enough to come up with the protections that ProcessGuard has can be equally innovative with cryptography.

I use Cryptosuite from DiamondCS, because from working wiith ProcessGuard, I know the depth of the work these guys do. There is also a trust issue. First and foremost do I trust the company I am buying from?

Finally you have to ask what you are protecting against. If the little men in dark suits come an take the computer will my crypography program protect me. Doesn't matter as in most countries the laws are such that if they have the legal right (sapoena, etc) to take the computer then it is easy for them. You either unlock everything or go to jail.

23. LockBox

Hello Jason. I think Diamond CS has done some great things, especially with ProcessGuard. Infinity ASKED about Diamond CS and I told why I wouldn't consider your products for ENCRYPTION. It's like this, I don't expect a word processor from PGP because it is designed and built by cryptographers, they don't do word processing. Non-cryptographers shouldn't be doing encryption either, imo. As for doing both? I don't expect my general doctor to perform brain surgery.

24. LockBox

I know many countries have such laws, but not where I live (USA). We have a 5th amendment to our constitution against self incrimination.

If you are happy with Crypto Suite from Diamond CS than by all means use it. No, I don't think because a good bone doctor can do miracles with arms and legs that he should be operating on the brain. Track record in other application programming counts not a bit when it comes to cryptography and its implementation.

Regards, Gerard

25. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi Gerard, you are indeed entitled to your own opinion regarding our cryptographic knowledge. Even if I guess it isn't backed up by any "proof" other than some stereotype based on programs we have done in the past. However to put together a good, secure cryptographic program you need people who are good at both programming and cryptography.

Whilst I agree with your analogies for the most part, I don't think they are valid. To produce a cryptographic program you need skills in at least 2 areas, programming and cryptography. Whilst a general doctor does not need to know how to perform brain surgery to do his job, someone like me needs to know programming and cryptography to produce a program such as CryptoSuite. I hope that makes it clear. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.