Invisible Proxy/Firewall , WTF ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by LukaszJ, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukaszJ

LukaszJ Registered Member

Hey

Lately i discovered my computer acts like its behind some firewall/proxy. Well it's not. I read somewhere that it may be because of malware changing your proxy settings but i checked that/run spybot etc and its clean. My ISP doesnt use any proxies either. Windows firewall is turned off. F.e. when i tried to log on yahoo msngr it said it couldn't log me on cause im behind a firewall... Any other ideas ? I run windows xp pro sp2 with all latest patches.

2. LukaszJ

or could anyone link me to some board where i could find help with my problem.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. LukaszJ

Hmm yahoo is just an example, I dont really care for it. Its just my d/l speeds in certain software is very low and is reported like im behind some firewall.

5. tkc

tkc Guest

6. LukaszJ

I dont see any of those there. Does it mean theyre blank ?

7. tkc

tkc Guest

i think u can assume it to be so. as for your low connection speeds in certain software, it may not be a firewall, but the limitation of the number of half-open connections in winxp sp2. this may be true if u're using file-sharing software.

to verify u have this problem, goto control panel -> admin tools -> event viewer -> system. look for event number 4226. if these exist, and they are recent, they'll affect the download speed u are getting.

<-----usual disclaimer applies for the following step----->
    to fix this, goto http://lvllord.de/ and download the patcher to patch the file to a higher number. u can repeat the above steps to verify that u are no longer limited by the number of half-open connections. remember that the original purpose was to slow down the spread of worms so be careful of what u patch it to.

8. LukaszJ

I have alot of those :/.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.