Investigation in Progress by AV Comparatives

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Charyb, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolcfan

coolcfan Registered Member

If Qihoo turns out to be the one and confirmed by AV-C, will you still support it?

But I'll bet on another one, and I believe that the one "specifically engineered for the major testing labs" refer to another major free AV in China..

Disclaimer: I'm a hater of all the top 3 vendors in China.

2. pbeg7

pbeg7 Registered Member

Something feels funny here - too much money, too many angles.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I don't get it, how can a product be "engineered" for these tests only?

4. fax

fax Registered Member

e.g. by hardcoding IP ranges (in the product or better in the cloud) corresponding to the testing organisations networks and act differently if these are detected?

5. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Or disabling certain engines that can cause false positives.

6. chillstream

chillstream Registered Member

Which I'm sure was the reason for all this. A certain Chinese vendor disabled its in-house engine and enabled a 3rd party one (turned off by default) specifically to achieve a lower FP result..
    But we'll know for sure soon enough.

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Could you link to that article on Neowin? Google refuse to help me with it, no article link about Qihoo show up in the results for me.

8. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Looks like some genius just destroyed his/her company's integrity and reputation. Gawd! What a dumb move. Must have been a former Lenovo marketing wiz.

At least we know that Norton Security is in the clear :)

There is no way for the guilty Company to explain away a fraud on the public.

Just my initial reaction.

The extent that the rigged version was publicly available is not clear. In it's original statement AV-C says it was available to the public to a limited degree, but on the Facebook page it just says that the version was publicly available.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  9. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Charyb. Can you provide a URL for the Facebook page that comes from. I have been looking at all AV Comparatives Facebook pages and I do not see the AV-C reply that it was a free program. I see the question the comment answers, but do not see the AC-C reply that it was a free product. Can AV-C delete a post it has already made on Facebook?

These are the URLs I have been looking at. One is a redirect from the AV-C homepage.

https://www.facebook.com/AVComparatives?_rdr

https://www.facebook.com/AVComparatives

The page appears to be current with the last post I see made 55 Minutes ago.

10. anon

anon Registered Member

11. anon

anon Registered Member

The above mentioned post is gone (since yesterday).

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Since they own the page, they can delete their posts/comments as well as those by others.

One thing I'm struggling to understand is their initial post states:
    but a later comment in reply to a user says:
    So which is it? Product submitted or easily accessible?

13. greyowl

greyowl Registered Member

14. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

What I understand is that modified version was publicly available for a short time, who knows.

15. hawki

hawki Registered Member

The AV-C announcement stated: "It has been found that a product submitted for testing by the vendor had been specifically engineered for the major testing labs, including AV-C; public availability of this version was limited."

In a later post AC-C Stated that "the version was publicly available."

These are not inconsistent statements.

Respecting the "free" version statement, the original post that it was a free product may have been correct but upon reflection AV-C decided that would be a give-away hint and this is a very serious legal matter with potentially substantial financial implications and AV-C decided to delete it so as not to even give a hint as to the product prior to a full investigation with the company(s) given a full opportunity to respond.

16. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

so are you saying the vendor/vendors are manipulating their products over a certain time period that corresponds to when your tests are conducted and other times the products behave differently?how do they do this are their databases more complete ,their cloud more aggressive?if the product isn't submitted by the vendor to yourselves then the product itself will be same as joe bloggs would purchase without added enhancements.
    Why have you not come out a directly named the company?if you know what you're saying is true then there is no need to fear any court action over naming and shaming this vendor,if you only suspect things aren't bona fide then you should have confronted them instead of dropping hints about who it may be and posted the results of their reply to such confrontation

17. hawki

hawki Registered Member

It appears from a re-read of the AV-C announcement that it has identified one vendor who "cheated," and the possibility of a second vendor doing the same.

I know it's a sensitive matter but to a degree it seems to me to be irresponsible for AV-C to not name the offending vendor who it knows cheated. People are spending real money or relying on this product every day. It seems that AV-C has an obligation to name the offending vendor. It is AV-C who did and published the test that peeps relied on.

"AV-C has uncovered an infringement of the testing agreement by one of the vendors participating in its tests. It has been found that a product submitted for testing by the vendor had been specifically engineered for the major testing labs, including AV-C; public availability of this version was limited."

Even though the cheat may not have been effective in boosting the product's results-I think most peeps would rather not use a product sold or made available by a company that cheats.

18. It is easy, these are our clues

- it is a FREE anti-virus

- it is a special crafted version to score high on tests

Just look at the reports, filter out the free ones and look which FREE AV has improved dramatically since last quarter 2014.

:blink:

19. Mattchu

Mattchu Registered Member

Why o why are these "testing organizations" allowing vendors to submit there own versions of the software in the first place? Surely the remit should be the test will be carried out some time in month X, whatever software is available for download from your servers on that date is the version that will be tested.
    Looking through the report if it was to achive a lower false positive result then it certainly isn`t clear who the party may be, i just find it incredulous that the whole process is open to abuse!
    Looking forward to full explanations and conclusions from all parties concerned...

20. hawki

hawki Registered Member

We do not actually know that it's a free product. A statement by an AV-C employee with access to the official posting logo of AV-C that was subsequently deleted said it was free. That statement was removed for any of several possible reasons.

21. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Irony will be if the offending company did lousy on the test :)

22. They used to do lousy on false positives, that is the last clue I am giving :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
  23. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Particularly, if what IBK said is true, that specifics of the allegation(s) were/are already in the news, albeit, in some other region of the globe.

24. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I do not pretend to be any sort of a techie who knows a lot. Is there something about the AV-C testing methods that would allow a company to lower it's false positives in the tests that would not also lower it's false positive in its "non-cheat" public version?

25. tgell

tgell Registered Member

According to the AV-comparatives blog the test that was compromised was the "File Detection Test _ march 2015". No mention was made of the "Real World Protection Test". I went back to 2012 on the File Detection Test and all the free AV's had basically the same detection rate. None of the free AV's got less than 98% since 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.