Invalid Page Fault error

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Buster, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buster

Buster Registered Member

I have a number of customers who have updated to v2 and the following error message is occurring on their systems. It is an intermittent problem and the crash occurs after closing Internet Explorer or Outlook Express v6 - always the same address.

Outlook Express caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 016f:bff766bc

If I uninstall version 2 and install version 1 the crashing stops. This also happens on my pc. All pcs are running Win98.

Please HELP o_O

2. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

3. Buster

Buster Registered Member

Hi Martin,

Had a look at the link and MS suggests this might be a corrupt pwl file. I think this is unlikely as my customer's pc that is displaying this error was a clean reinstall of Windows.

I have read Acadia's post (same problem I am having). You suggested reinstalling IE - I think you are onto something here. I have a number of pcs, two of which were showing this same error. I had to reinstall MS Office and IE on one pc and now v2 runs like a well behaved program on this pc.

I have a good feeling about this - I'll try reinstalling IE on my customer's pc and let you know how I go. A big thanks to you - I feel sure this will work. :D

Regards

Buster

4. martindijk

Hi Buster,

Glad you got rid of that culprit ;)

I love it when things work out right :D

Let me know, oké

rgds,
    Martin

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

No, that pwl thingy is not the problem, I tried that. Good luck with the IE6 reinstall, but I have to be honest with you, I wouldn't be holding my breath. Again, good luck, and please let us know how it goes (I'm SINCERELY hoping that I'm wrong and that it DOES work).

Acadia.

6. martindijk

Hi Acadia,

Well, at least one of his pc's seems to be working now, with NODv2 installed ;)

rgds,
    Martin

7. Buster

Buster Registered Member

Hi,

Sorry to take so long to reply but this is the first chance I've had to see one of my customers and update his system to NOD v2. When I installed NOD v2 on my customer's pc a few weeks ago it was constantly crashing at the address I mentioned in previous posts. This is a Win98 pc and I reinstalled the OS and NODv2 and the pc crashed constantly running v2. I removed v2 and reinstalled v1 and the crashing disappeared.

Today I tried Martin's suggestion of reinstalling Internet Explorer after installing v2 and then I restarted the pc a number of times to try and reproduce the crash.

End result - the pc did not crash and it's been a few hours since I was there and I have not heard from my customer, meaning the pc is happy running v2. :D :D :D

A big thank you to Martin for providing the solution to my headache as I have run into this problem on a number of my customer's pcs.

Hope this solution helps Acadia as well - you've got nothing to lose by giving it a go. Let us know how you go.

I wish I could give you Karma points, Martin coz far as I am concerned you should have bucketloads. Thanks again.

Regards

Buster

8. martindijk

Hi Buster,

Glad the idea helped you and your customer's out ;)

Let's hope Acadia will pick this up, hoping this will work for him too, you never can be sure though, cause each pc is running its own life for that matter.

I am happy for you the headaches are gone now :D

rgds,
    Martin

9. Buster

Buster Registered Member

Re:Invalid Page Fault error (it's back)

Hi,

I had a call from my customer today and after 3 days of his pc running OK, it is now crashing again, same address as previously mentioned. :'( :'( :'(

Looks like he will have to go back to v1 as v2 refuses to live happily on his pc. I cannot work out what the problem is, I suspect it might be some sort of conflict with a software package on his pc but I just can't nail it.

Can any of the moderators offer some help? How much longer will v1 updates be available?

Buster

10. martindijk

Hi Buster,

Sorry to hear this o_O

How about the other pc's and yourso_O??

Are they giving you the same trouble again or is it just one pc.

rgds,
    Martin

11. Buster

Buster Registered Member

Hi Martin,

One of my pcs is behaving itself. My other pc is crashing, same address but in another program - I'll get back to you with the program error.

I'll be upgrading all my pcs to XP soon so my problems will go away. I wish I could say the same for my customers. So far I have two customers with this error message. I am not looking forward to upgrading my v1 customers to v2 due to this problem. Any ideas? o_O o_O

Regards

Buster

12. martindijk

Hi Buster,

Well, i have been breaking my head over this issue - why, why, why o_O o_O o_O

I must say, iam running a bit out of options here :'(

The only thing i hope that it will solve by installing XP, but this should not be, i still have minor probs with NOD, if it was up to me i also would like to stick with v1, but i think they will only support v1 for a couple of weeks now :'(

Also i have been looking for a replacement for NOD, but in the years the program grows on you :D, and i haven't found a suitable one.

I hope they come with updates soon.

Best of luck Buster, maybe the Mods have some solutiono_O?

rgds,
    Martin

13. Buster

Buster Registered Member

Hi Martin,

I know what you mean - I'm running thin on ideas as well. If I find a fix I'll post an update.

I appreciate all your suggestions and help. I'll be sticking with NOD though and hope this issue resolves itself quickly.

Thanks again Martin.

Regards

Buster

14. martindijk

Hi Buster,

I keep you posted in case i find a cure, i hope o_O

Or when i hear of updates from the Mods.

rgds,
    Martin

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I told you guys not to hold your breath! I have read too much about this problem elsewhere, not just this forum. However, I did find one thing interesting. I starting using NOD again WITHOUT the IMON, so I had no email scanning, which is no concern for me since my ISP scans all our mail with Norton anyway. I used NOD for about three days like this, without the IMON, and had absolutely no problems, not a single freeze-up?!?!?! I went back to eTrust EZ anyway, but only because it has a lighter impact on my system, but I am constantly tempted to go back to using NOD fulltime (without the IMON).

Acadia.

16. martindijk

:D Once a NOD, always a NOD, hé Acadia :D

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yeah, I guess. NOD has too many "fun" features to play with that the stripped down eTrust doesn't have. That's probably why the eTrust is faster and lighter, but I just love tweaking around with things. Take care.

Acadia.

18. martindijk

Hi Acadia,

Is this Etrust noticible friendlier for your system??

rgds,
    Martin

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

COMPLETELY friendly, not a single problem, in fact, that is one of the reasons I decided to try eTrust. I kept reading in various usenet groups how stable and fast this program was, no matter what kind of a system people were using; very reliable. Just three things wrong with it: Doesn't quite have the near perfect scanning "record" that NOD has (but what program does), does not have an email scanner (like I said before, not a concern for me), and with the virus signature updates, which are daily, you have to download the ENTIRE file which is almost an entire megabyte, so I sit there and just watch my monitor for a while or go to the bathroom or something.

Acadia.

20. Buster

Buster Registered Member

Hi Acadia,

I am going to try disabling IMON on my customer's pc and see if the crashing stops. At this point I'm willing to give anything a go!

I'll let him trial this for about a week and get back to you, with good news I hope.

Rgds

Buster

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good luck. Indeed, keep us informed!

Acadia.

22. controler

controler Guest

me thinks the PC that you reinstalled work for three days , then somebody did an update to IE and the problem started again.

Would be fun to see if this were true

23. Buster

Buster Registered Member

I updated IE6 after installing NOD32 v2 and then the pc worked for about 3 days then the crashing resumed. My customer hasn't updated any sw or changed any settings since I updated it to v2.

Working with pcs for a number of years I have often found that the solution to quirky pc problems is often a simple one. Let's hope this is the case in this instance.

Rgds

Buster

24. martindijk

Hi Buster,

Well, if this is true, disabling IMON, one should think i has something to do with the Imon.dll.

I read somewhere else on this forum a NOD user had problems with Imon.dll and Eset send him a new version and his probs were over, not that he had the same probs we are talking about, but it seems this Imon.dll caused probs earlier.

Fingers crossed here Buster, :D

rgds,
    Martin

25. Buster

Buster Registered Member

Hi Martin,

I have read the same thread and going on what Acadia has said re disabling imon I suspect this is a problem specific to Win98 & imon.

I would like to get a copy of imon.dll if possible and investigate this further. If one of the mods could arrange this I would much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds

Buster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.