intrusion of a channel in a hidden icmp

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by indycool, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indycool

indycool Registered Member

Hi evryone,

sorry for my english, i'll try to explain my problem.

I just install Eset Smart Security and it seems ii have a problem with my firewall.

I have this error : intrusion of a channel in a hidden icmp 202.39.224.7 detected all the time !

I looked and i found this adress on Hinet.net network.

Is it normal? I tried to make a rule to block the access but can someone explain to me why i have this connexion and how can i block it?

Thanks a lot.

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

3. indycool

indycool Registered Member

Hi dwomack,

Thanks for the answer, but your link explain how add this adress to the confiance zone.
    Should i trust this adress? I thought i had to block this adress in the firewall?

4. invcitus

invcitus Registered Member

I have just installed Eset Smart Security 5 and have this exact same problem.

Every 2 seconds I am getting a notice:

Detected covert channel exploit in ICMP packet
    Remote IP address:

Is this something I should investigate further?

5. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

It would be a good idea to contact your local ESET Customer Care/Technical Support department. They should be able to help determine if the detection is real and then help you resolve the issue from there.

If in North America, the contact page is here: http://www.eset.com/contact
    Otherwise you can use this page to locate your country and contact support from there: http://www.eset.com/us/language-selector/

6. kikurin

kikurin Registered Member

Hi. Do you have an ASUS motherboard and have AI Suite II installed to you PC?
    I had the same situation after installing AI Suite II, and successfully got rid of it by uninstalling AI Suite II. Probably one of the application in the AI Suite II would send some information to Taiwan. If installed, try uninstall.

7. passerby8million

passerby8million Registered Member

I found this thread while searching for 202.39.24.7 because I discovered my computer was pinging that address and I wanted to know why. I eventually discovered that NetSvcHelpEntry.exe (part of the Asus AI Suite II (I have an Asus motherboard)) is the one pinging that address every second.

What's odd is that Process Monitor would not show any network activity for this process, nor did TCPView (perhaps I used them incorrectly). I had to go through Task Manager and kill one process at a time to figure out which program was responsible for the traffic.

8. ONT

ONT Registered Member

There are chances that some softwares send information as feedback from your system in order to improve their products.

9. magicmoo

magicmoo Registered Member

Thank you so much for this! I was getting a bit paranoid after setting up my new system with a brand new Asus motherboard, because I bought at the same time some cheap chinese tablet, which I ended up wrongly suspecting of installing some malware on my new computer.

Anyway, this whole thing is part of the "Network iControl" software from Asus. Just disabled it and the problem will be gone!

Cheers,
    Denis

10. encus

encus Registered Member

Just curious, will this thing also happen to Asus Laptop or just a PC with Asus motherboard?

Thanks.

11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I think that is a question you'll need to ask ASUS, since they are the ones who are bundling the software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. oschikhof

oschikhof Registered Member

Hi, I was having the same problem, installed several things (including the ASUS tools) after some time and also experienced these notifications from ESET.

Thanks to this topic, I know it's the Asus software. Triggered by this I digged a little further and I found a very simple solution to get rid of the notifications.
    I don't know if it will work for everybody, but for me it works perfectly.
    (I wanted to share this so I specially registered here for sharing :) )

I have stopped it by opening the Network iControl.
    Default the setting is "on". When you turn this off, the notifications stop!
    Yes!!

I hope this will work for everybody who has this problem.

Attached Files:

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can disable this detection completely in the IDS setup or add the IP address 194.95.249.23 to the list of addresses excluded from active protection in the zone setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.