Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

I am waiting eagerly for both the next versions of Prevx and Vipre. My guess is all my problems will be solved. :D I have come to the conclusion that even though I really like OA, I would probably give it up for Prevx because I like Prevx more and I have a lifetime to Outpost Pro. So many choices, so little $.

2. overangry

overangry Registered Member

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I'm unsure if this is a real issue - the "View Threats" button detects if a scan is required either by checking if the files were detected x hours ago or if there has been change in programs on the harddisk. However, if you run a scan and then immediately click View Threats after the scan finishes (after going back to the status screen), it should let you view the threats.

Could you let me know if it still requires a scan for you when clicking View Threats shortly after a scan?

4. overangry

Thanks for the quick reply:D
    Quote: the "View Threats" button detects if a scan is required either by checking if the files were detected x hours ago or if there has been change in programs on the harddisk.

I understand that.

My issue was: I rebooted my pc and returned some minutes later and after logging in I had the threats detected warning.

IMHO clicking view threats should allow me to do just that... view the threat.

It's no big issue, just confusing:doubt:

Also the response given to post 4199 didn't help me. I assumed there would be a fix.

5. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

What is the prevx upgrade policy? Do all customers with curent paid prevx edge licence able to download most recent version when it is released?

6. PrevxHelp

I think there may be another factor involved on your system - is it possible that any of the detected malicious programs would run on bootup? I tried it locally on my PC, adding a bad file, scanning, rebooting, and it went directly to a file list on bootup. However, it seems that if something runs early on you may end up in the spot where you are with the View Threats button not working.

Also, to clarify, are you seeing a list of files at all, or does it just start on the page with the "View Threats" button?

Thanks! :D

7. overangry

My mistake I didn't reboot... it was a start from standby:oops:
    I had an issue with MSE trying to remove the eicar test virus ( which it couldn't) and I Kept clicking away the Prevx warnings.

Therefore the warning at start-up

My post was only to express my thoughts on the View Threats button.

My apologies for any confusion I may have caused and thanks for your concern regarding possible malware on my system upon rebooting:oops: ...

8. PrevxHelp

Ah - that may indeed be an issue. I'll see what we can find shortly! Thanks for the information :)

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I agree with this post. Why shouldn't View Threats allow the user to view the threats? It's not very intuitive the way it is. Scan means scan & View Threats means scan? :doubt:

10. PrevxHelp

This should very very rarely happen - could you possibly describe a reproducible condition that would cause this if you can get it to happen on-demand?

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Sure. It just happened. I ran Hitman Pro scan with Prevx protection stopped. Upon completion, I ran Hitman Pro scan a second time, this time with Prevx protection enabled. Prevx alerted on an Age/Spread Criteria Violation Detection for an older geswall.sys file. I told Prevx to always trust the file. The Prevx systray icon was red, so I clicked on it. I saw "View Threats". I clicked on View Threats (thinking I would see the geswall.sys file) and instead Prevx launched into a scan.

12. PrevxHelp

This would be one of the times it would happen - if you've changed the determination of a file (trusted/blocked/trust once/etc.) that forces it to rescan as at that point the determination known would be incorrect so showing the list of detected files could be misleading.

However, I tend to think we should be able to get around this :) Although that currently is the intended behavior, I agree that "View Threats" should do as labeled in all cases - the only difficulty is keeping track of if all of the threats have been ignored, requiring the status to be refreshed.

I'll see what we can do with this in either the next release or definitely in 4.0.

Thanks for the detailed report!

13. overangry

Originally Posted by Page42
    Sure. It just happened. I ran Hitman Pro scan with Prevx protection stopped. Upon completion, I ran Hitman Pro scan a second time, this time with Prevx protection enabled. Prevx alerted on an Age/Spread Criteria Violation Detection for an older geswall.sys file. I told Prevx to always trust the file. The Prevx systray icon was red, so I clicked on it. I saw "View Threats". I clicked on View Threats (thinking I would see the geswall.sys file) and instead Prevx launched into a scan.

Simular problem
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1522930#post1522930
    Post 4416

Read the response

14. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Joe: First hit on a scan in a while, is this an fp?

C:\Program Files\DigiPortal Software\ChoiceMail\CMOInstaller.exe » WISE » CMWSingleUserInstall266.exe » WISE » coach.exe - probably a variant of Win32/SdBot trojan

Program is a email filter one that I've used since 2002 and no hits before. Please advise.

EDIE: Whoops, sorry, got the programs mixed up. This was NOT Prevx, but another program. Prevx came up clean!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.