Introducing EMET v3

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Oh I didn't know Microsoft provided a preset config.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

As of EMET 3.0 they do. But you'd have to go through and enable each mitigation. I just saved you a few minutes and this way I can update it if anyone reports an issue.

3. STV0726

Got it, thanks.

Now is the crucial point in developing my security mentality on if I go ahead and take the "risk of IPC conflict" and enable EMET for all internet facing apps, even ones I always Sandboxie. :p

4. Hungry Man

That's your choice but I would.

5. STV0726

I don't know why I worry about that so much...

...If I remember correctly Sandboxie now has a compatibility preset for EMET.

6. test

test Registered Member

nobody has been able to check if Sandboxie interfers with the new mitigations introduced with v3.5?

Someone in Italy, infact, reports the inability to automatically empty the sandbox if ROP mitigations are enabled on a per-process base (eg: Chrome)...

7. Hungry Man

No clue. I haven't used Sandboxie in some time.

8. Hungry Man

9. STV0726

See that scares me...

Sandboxie is a primary, resident layer of my security setup and I can't risk anything interfering with it and weakening/corrupting its high level of protection.

I consider Sandboxie a near-absolute layer of security, whereas EMET is not...not even close. While I praise Microsoft for making EMET (and I think it is awesome) AND I consider it a paramount layer that one can add to almost any security setup, I still consider it only a supplemental layer. Yeah, they do different things, I get it, but as far as I can tell (and is discussed time and time again) any exploits that EMET could protect from that are run in the Sandbox anyway...well...then who cares if they work or not...it's sandboxed.

Therefore, I still consider Sandboxie > EMET; therefore, I sandbox high-risk internet facing apps (primarily Internet Browsers; not just my default one), and use EMET app protection for legacy apps and/or lower risk internet facing apps such as applications that only access Internet via check for updates and are not widely exploited by malware authors currently.

It is also important to note that I do not apply EMET configuration to Java and Adobe Flash, since those are always run in a sandbox along with the forced sandboxed browser that which they started in.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  10. test

test Registered Member

i have to rectify my previous sentence:
    after a quick check, it seems that the problem is likely due to CIS and not to Sbxie as stated above.

Sorry for the incorrect information.

11. Hungry Man

@STV,

With EMET and Sandboxie you do one thing - prevent any generic exploit from working properly. In either case you'll be dealing with an attacker who uses a direct attack on your system to either bypass EMET or to bypass Sandboxie - it comes down to which you you think is easier.

Is it easier to exploit and infect a system when the program attacked is running EMET or is it easier to exploit and infect a system when the program attacked is running in Sandboxie?

That's all it comes down to.

12. STV0726

Exactly my point...

Like I said...and I don't think you'd disagree...Sandboxie provides pretty close to absolute protection since everything is isolated (assuming if 64 bit machine, use experimental protection!)

I know for a fact from reading tech articles that some EMET mitigations are not that hard to exploit. In fact, like you said...pseudo-mitigation. There can be not just bugs but flaws in design where a hacker could just rewrite with EMET in mind.

But for Sandboxie, you said yourself, there's really no flaw in the concept itself, they'd need a bug.

Sandboxie > EMET, and as soon as Ronen Tzur can near-gurantee compatibility I'll use both but until then EMET is for only apps I don't sandbox.

13. DX2

DX2 Guest

What system processes would you recommend to put within EMET? I've have task manager, cmd in there.

14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No system services, you should be adding Internet facing applications.

15. DX2

DX2 Guest

Like firefox and such?

16. Hungry Man

You can do services as well but I don't think EAF will work.

This would potentially prevent local privilege escalation.

17. DX2

DX2 Guest

Thanks for the replies. Can someone the uses this post some of the exe's they use in EMET?

18. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Note: due to issues, I've cleared the StackPivot boxes for plugin-container.exe for Firefox/Waterfox...

Attached Files:

19. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Damn, I spent like an hour trying to make my own XML file to import to EMET, and the damn thing just wouldn't load. I kept getting an error. It turns out, I forgot to close one of the tags (/>). :argh: Now, it's working lovely. :D

20. DX2

DX2 Guest

thanks everyone.

21. m00nbl00d

By the way, if anyone is using OpenDNS DNSCrypt, you may want to add it to EMET. I've added it sometime ago, and unless I'm wrong, it didn't break. :D

22. Hungry Man

DNSCrpyt seems to be programmed with security in mind. On Linux it chroots itself and is compiled with PIE, NX, and RELRO.

Not surprising that EMET doesn't break it.

23. m00nbl00d

Yep. :D I just hope they will make dnscrypt work in a sandbox in Windows. Considering they're conscious about security implications, and in fact make it chroot in Linux, it makes sense to make it more secure for Windows as well.

They could see if they could make some use of Chromium's sandbox. :D

24. Hungry Man

I don't think it needs any filesystem access but it would have to drop from root to untrusted - there'd need to be a broker process at some point.

25. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Working fine with me... Waterfox 14.01 here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.