Interview With The Project Manager of Comodo Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tansu, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tansu

tansu Registered Member

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

In the interview,

Question- "If there were no Comodo, what would you use for your home PC?"

Answer- "I would use another good firewall such as Linux’s ip filter firewall (Netfilter) ported to Windows. But that’s me ?"

Is this just a way for him to not have to name another paid brand ot does anyone else have a set-up like this? It sounds interesting enough.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello

Yes, this is called "avoiding the answer", but I believe he also wanted to show off a bit by exposing his knowledge. Project managers are a vain species.

I have a question for him: "If you were not Comodo's Project Manager, who would you like to see in that position?"

:D

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

LMAO :D

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I thought it was funny how he states that outbound filtering is one of the most important things in the a software firewall, then rattles off that he would use iptables if comodo doesn't exist (so he went from a flashy GUI orientated inbound and outbound protection firewall to a lean and mean packet filter with no outbound protection :rolleyes: )

I wonder if the v3 release is going to be over the top though (thats what it seems like at least)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

The Seer: i wasn't aware of that:D
    Alphalutra1: CPF3 will have HIPS, it will be different from the current regarding leaktests. Don't you use SSM?

7. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Yes I do, and I also do not use Comodo (or any firewall for that matter on my windows box, i am a rebel :p ). However, just looking at the direction it is going in seems to be a little over the top (including HIPS and all), but that is just me. I would more go towards making it even faster, more efficient, cause even less latency, improve the SPI, add pseudo-SPI for UDP and ICMP, add support for IPv6 and other protocols, etc. but that is just me...

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

8. Seer

Seer Registered Member

...and me. You have a point there IMO. Comodo should abandon the HIPS idea completely and concentrate their efforts on packet filtering instead of making a (possible) all-in-one laggard. :D

Cheers.

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I see your point. But note that i won't use HIPS, just the FW and the sandbox should it surface before i move permanently to GNU.
    The user will have the option to install whatever he wants, mainly just FW.

As for your concerns for the development of strict FW features, you could be right, but i prefer to wait and see. You concern there has a reason, for sure.

10. Seer

Seer Registered Member

That may not be a solution. The application still coud use the same amount of resources regardeless of whether you disable or don't install some features, as is the case with similar packages. But there's certianly no point in making such assumptions, and the guys at Comodo still could pull some magic out of their hat.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

The point is not installing HIPS. Not just turning off, but not installing. Resource usage has to be very different.

12. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Well, I see what you mean. But, as you know, Comodo is already not a king of resource-saving, and if its developers tend to follow the same path the majority of other vendors did (look what happened to Norton and ZA), then our reasons for a concern are very valid.

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well after reading the interview, I must say that I´m really looking forward to the HIPS, I wonder if it will really be so much better than the current solutions. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.