Interrupted due to network with target file was disconnected

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by yohayon, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yohayon

yohayon Registered Member

I'm using Acronis Echo Enterprise v9.5 & backing up a few servers to a file share on the network. After the image backup the log says "Backup archive creation was interrupted due to network with target file was disconnected. Attempt pinging for 2 seconds." This error occurs a few times for some of the servers & therefore the backup image consists of 4 or 5 files. Whats going on?

2. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

You are having an intermittent network connection (better check your network). It means that ATI cannot continuously send data to the storage server because it looses its connection repeatedly.

Prior to ver 9.5 any interruptions in the communication between the storage and the backup machine would cause a failure in the back up task. But in 9.5 ATI can automatically continue backing up even if there was a interruption; (ex: full space and you delete some other file so that it can continue).

Drawback is that you will have several dependent files all instead of one single file (even for a full backup). And these files cannot be consolidated.

We have tried before backing up into a network share and we intentionally unplugged the network cable and then replugged it after a min. It made 2 files. We verified it and was even able to restore the backup image (both files has to be present) and it worked fine.

Its still in best practice thou to keep it just one file.

3. yohayon

Thanks for the response. I don't believe there is any physical network disconnect that occurs during the backup. The network disconnect error occurs in the log every single backup at around the same exact time. And some of the servers do not experience this issue. Not sure what is going on. Any more ideas?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello yohayon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please clarify, by "occurs ... at around the same exact time", do you mean it happens after a certain and always the same period of time has passed since backup process start? Or that it happens to some backup processes working with the same share simultaneously?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. yohayon

I have an Acronis scheduled task for 8 servers to simultaneously begin their image backup at 10:00pm to a file share on the network. This error message issue occurs at around 10:05pm to 10:11pm on the same 4 servers being backed up every single backup! I have posted the exact message below & sequence of events. Your assistance is appreciated.

8 Information 4/21/2008 10:00:15 PM Pending operation 135 started: "Creating partition image"
    9 Information 4/21/2008 10:00:16 PM Locking partition C:...
    10 Information 4/21/2008 10:04:01 PM Backup archive creation was interrupted due to network with target file was disconnected. Attempt pinging for 2 seconds.
    11 Information 4/21/2008 10:29:48 PM Backup archive creation was interrupted due to network with target file was disconnected. Attempt pinging for 2 seconds.
    12 Information 4/21/2008 10:48:19 PM Backup archive creation was interrupted due to network with target file was disconnected. Attempt pinging for 2 seconds.
    13 Information 4/22/2008 12:11:01 AM Backup archive creation was interrupted due to network with target file was disconnected. Attempt pinging for 2 seconds.
    14 Information 4/22/2008 12:55:55 AM Pending operation 135 started: "Creating partition image"
    15 Information 4/22/2008 12:55:55 AM Locking partition D:...
    16 Information 4/22/2008 1:33:44 AM Pending operation 132 started: "Saving partition structure"
    17 Information 4/22/2008 1:33:45 AM Operation has succeeded.

6. Acronis Support

Hello yohayon,

Thank you for clarification. It's possible that simultaneous backups from several sources to the same share is overloading the network making it disconnect briefly. Please try reducing "Network connection speed" setting, as described in paragraph 6.3.6 "Backup performance" of Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. yohayon

Thank you. That seems to have resolved the issue but I have another issue which is that I cannot backup one of the servers. I get an error that says "Problem Info:
    Problem Details: Unable to create volume snapshot"

Another problem is that some of the servers which have the TI agent installed & which I had included in backup tasks have disappeared from within Acronis & when I try to add it from within Acronis, it says that it is already installed!! Please advise.

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

That's a huge amount of network traffic.

Why not stagger the backups so that they run one at a time.

9. Acronis Support

Hello yohayon,

Regarding the "Unable to create volume snapshot" problem: please check your Private Messages.

Could you please clarify, which screen of Acronis True Image did servers disappear from? Please post a screenshot, if possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. yohayon

Some of the servers do not show up when created a new group task on the Acronis Group Server. I have attached a screenshot. They were there functioning before & then some disappeared!

Attached Files:

11. yohayon

I have installed the snapapi.exe on the server that responds with "Unable to create volume snapshot" but the group task still failed as usual. The Acronis log displays this below:

Operation with partition "0-0" was terminated.
    Details:
    Unable to create volume snapshot (0x70021)
    Tag = 0xA5695862AAF8E754
    Failed to unlock volume. (0x10C444)
    Tag = 0x14181C22EF45AE7B
    The operation completed successfully (0xFFF0)
    code = 0)
    Tag = 0xBD28FDBD64EDB8AF

Attached Files:

12. Acronis Support

Hello yohayon,

Regarding the "Unable to create volume snapshot" problem, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please also collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Regarding the problem with some computers disappearing: could you please clarify, were the computers added manually, or found automatically by Acronis Group Server? Were there any tasks scheduled for those computers? Can you connect to those Acronis Agents using Acronis True Image Management Console individually?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  13. yohayon

I believe the issue with "Unable to create volume snapshot" is being caused by the Group Task in Group Server which is set to Enable VSS. When I disable VSS in the group task then the server in question gets imaged successfully. It is a Windows 2000 Server. Any way that I can get this to work without creating a separate task just for this server?

Regarding issue with computers disappearing:
    The computer had remote agents installed remotely from the Acronis Server & were added to the group list automatically & not manually. I can connect to the missing computers from Acronis Management Console but I cannot add them manually since I get an Acronis error which says that they already exist. There were group tasks scheduled for those computers.
    I did try to uninstall the remote agent & then did a reinstall but no success.

14. Acronis Support

Hello yohayon,

Thank you for clarification.

Please notice that Windows 2000 Server does not include Volume Shadow Copy Service, so it would need a task with disabled VSS support.

For the second problem: please try switching "filter" settings in Acronis Group Server several times (please see chapter 4.4.1 "Group status display" of Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server User's Guide for details). Does that make computers show in correct state?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

15. yohayon

When I select the filter options in Acronis Console, the missing servers show up as offline even though they are up & pingable. They were displayed as online 2 weeks ago & then suddenly disappeared!

16. Acronis Support

Hello yohayon,

I'm sorry for not being accurate enough in my explanation. Could you please turn on filtering of offline computers, then turn it off. Please repeat that several times (up to 20-25). Does that make the computers that are actually online appear as such?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

17. yohayon

I did try turning on & off that filter 25 times but still no success. what can I do to resolve this? Thank you.

18. Acronis Support

Hello yohayon,

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post from Acronis Group Server computer and one of the problem computers.

Please also collect the contents of the following folder from Acronis Group Server computer:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\GroupServer

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.