Internet track erasers?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by notageek, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xmen

xmen Guest

http://secunia.com/advisories/12380/

Probably fixed by now, but once trust is lost. I expect such failures from freeware where people are doing it for a hobby, but for something like windows washer that demands yearly subscription fees, this failure is unforgivable.

2. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Xmen, it must of been fixed because I couldn't recover anything I wiped with bleach. I also think it's stupid to pay a yearly fee for Window washer.

Carver, it was a few years ago that I tried UltraWipe. I think someone here also told me not to use it before. I can't remember though.

I found the link. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=3753&highlight=ultrawipe

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've only found one sure fire way to be sure all internet tracks are erased. I go into a secondary First Defense-ISR snapshot, do what ever surfing is I want to do, and then boot back to primary, and do a copy to make the secondary match the primary. Then and only then is all the evidence gone in my opionion. WHy?

Well go to a site that has movie clips, download a couple and play them. Then run your cleaner. It will for sure clean up all the browser stuff. It will even clean out the MRU of your player. Then super wipe clean the movie clips. Great, but.... Well I use outpost, and when you look in the DNS logs guess what. The url, and possibly the name of the website you downloaded from. and... then I run regsupreme and do a clean and lo and behold since I deleted the movie files, there are registry entries pointing to those files that no longer exist.

My point is it is darn tough to remove ALL the evidence short of doing what First Defense does which is put the system like it was before I started.

4. notageek

I use ZAPro and I clean my logs from ZA.

5. Peter2150

I know you clean logs, I periodically do from Outpost. I also clean the registry. Just it's hard to keep up with all of it. The first defense type solution, just gets it all, everything, all at once.

6. notageek

Thanks, I'll try it.

7. xmen

xmen Guest

I'm no expert with Firstdefense, but if it is a backup solution, while you might "get it all", there is a pretty high chance that the prior data can be recovered, higher than using "bleaching" solutions anyway. since you are overwriting once only with a very similar image.

Of course, Peter2150 probably doesn't care. But if I have a sensitive file I want to destroy, I would rather use a proper cleaner than a backup solution.

Sure, there might be hints that I had the file lying about, but as long as they can't get to the file, mission accomplished.

8. Peter2150

Ah. xmen of course you are right. I am talking about the situation where people might want to erase what they are doing so maybe family or whom ever can't see what the are doing, but you are right if you have a file of sensitive information in a particuliar file thats different. The bleaching solution or encrytpion, or both would be required.

I see it as two different problems requiring two different solutions.

Pete

9. notageek

Now the quesion is. Which program will erase Mozilla and FireFox download manager history? I know IE Privacy erases FF download manager history but is there a program that will erase (not delete) both. I didn't want to have 10 different cleaning programs installed.

10. xmen

xmen Guest

I don't think firstdefense is a "solution" at all. Espically if you look at the whole thread whose focus is on unrecoverable files.

If you look at the original post, it was fairly clear that the poster was interested in whether the deleted file is recoverable. And the thread continued in the same vein, eg ccleaner was mentioned as not secure deletion.

Clearly, as good as your favourite backup solution is and as much as you like mentioning it, it isn't appropriate to mention it here , as it is very misleading to people into thinking it is in the same class of solutions mentioned in this thread.

And I would point out that these days you don't have to be very advanced, to go download or buy stuff that can recover files easily. Someone who knows enough to look at your logs, sniffing for stuff, is smart enough to go get file recovery tools.

11. xmen

xmen Guest

Notageek.

The key thing to note is that in general all cleaning solutions are roughly equal in terms of "bleaching power" if they use the same technique. Most people would trust open source, highly tested products, so did means Eraser.

What cleaning programs differ in , is the list of file they know of to clean and some minor features like cleaning on shutdown, on startup and on speed.

The key point is to get a flexible eraser, that allows you to add files to clean.
    Say you are testing two erasers, eraser A and B. You decide to keep Eraser A.

Run eraser A. Then run eraser B and see what else Eraser B comes up with in the logs. Add these files that were missed by eraser A to the custom list of files to clean for eraser A Finish.

Here's a real life example. Say you like Cleancache. Because it is feature rich and implements secure deletion. But you notice that after cleancache is done, ccleaner still finds quite a bit of stuff.

In particular to your question, there is a file download.rdf in your firefox profiles directory which as you can guess is the download manager history for firefox. Incidently For some reason cleancache does not know to clean it. I realised that when i ran ccleaner after cleancache, so what I did was to add this file to the custom clean up of cleancache (it's called additives).

In fact, ccleaner finds a bit more , all of which I added to Cleancache additive.

Ideally it would be better to choose ccleaner has the faved eraser becase it has the widest list of files to clean, so you dont have to waste time adding a big custom list, but it doesn't do secure erasing.

Personally, I still think the best method is to use eraser's commandline version, with a batch file, it's fastest, but many people don't know how to set it up.

However, There's a flaw with this technique, since it doesn't handle Mrus,

12. notageek

I know there a file name download.rdf in mozilla profile. What I really want to know is, is it safe for me to erase it without any problems?

13. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

The only possible drawback to the "add it to CleanCache" scenario mentioned above that I can see is this:

CCleaner, T.E.P, SBS&D, Id.S, etc. all get updated to new versions. If you don't already have them, you might fall behind the curve as to what to add as an "additive" in C.C. (but other than that it's a nifty idea).

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a program that displays the contents of the MFT in a perfectly understandable, clear fashion and that would allow you to securely delete items from that (which I think is a very needed thing).

Javacool?

Wayne?

Jason?

Pete

14. xmen

xmen Guest

Of course you did, notageek. Well if it's safer for your cleaners to remove it...

Well, most of the basics seldom change, and you might be able to see what is being added by looking at the change log.

But in any case, even better would be to look yourself at what files/logs are generated by each new app you install, and add them to the deletion list manually. It's not that difficult to figure out actually. This is particularly important if you use off the ball none-mainstream products (basically 90% of the software mentioned here) which cleaners don't handle.

In general though, I find windows washer, and the like don't really differ that much, at least for the basic windows related stuff and popular browsers.

15. Carver

Carver Guest

November 14 2005 I started using Ultra-wipe from redstrike, it seemed to do its job the files were unrecoverable. But my computer started acting funny, I read somewhere that someone said that the program does its job too well and be very carefull and it bothered me that I couldn't get redstrikes website. So I did a check to see if it had all its files, I went to the command prompt and typed sfc/scannow with my windows XP disk in my CD-rom drive. It wrote alot of .dll files to the .dill cashe. So I went looking for another secure file cleaner. I am now trailing http://www.east-tec.com/eraser/index.htm

16. securityx

securityx Registered Member

Ahhh, my first post at Wilders.

As for the MFT issue, that is why I use Fat32. So many talk about how NTFS volumes have "higher security" when actually, if you use third-party tools for encryption, etc., Fat32 is the better option. Fat32 has no MFT or ADS.

I like Tracks Eraser Pro. I use version 5.5. I also use a couple of other freeware cleaners. I also use East-Tec's Eraser for one feature and that's the filename scrambling feature. Of course, for simple file wiping I use the right-click function of Sami Tolvanen's Eraser.

One thing many people overlook is the router log. Many people have never disabled their router logs and a history of just about everything done online can be in those logs. Disable it for privacy!

Spy1 makes a lot of good posts here at this site regarding privacy. READ THEM! In the USA we are fast losing our privacy and becoming a "Paper's please" country. That is something that I thought of with the old Soviet Union and it was the last thing we wanted for our own country. PLEASE read Spy1's posts regarding these issues. When you think about it, when you lose your privacy to do so many things without the right papers, ID and all, you have not only lost privacy, you have lost FREEDOM. Thanks Spy1 for all of the great posts on legislation.

This is a great site. I have loved reading it and decided to go ahead and join in on some of the discussion.

17. Notok

Notok Registered Member

18. Carver

Carver Guest

I also use East-Tec's Eraser for one feature and that's the filename scrambling feature.
    If I am not misstaken http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/default.php has the same feature. I like the feature Privicy Guard:
    It also cleans up the email program.

In the USA we are fast losing our privacy and becoming a "Paper's please" country.
    In two years or so the US is going to get a National Identification Card. I am trying to get my credit card issuer which is my bank to put my picture on my credit card.

19. Carver

Carver Guest

I almost forgot, this is what the help file says the things you can do in Privacy Guard/Advanced:

The Privacy Guard will seek out and destroy (Erase Beyond Recovery) the contents of folders that monitor and track your Internet usage and habits. It will also rid your computer of Windows "hidden" files and other data stored without your knowledge. Furthermore, you may also customize this feature to target specific files or folders that may contain sensitive or embarrassing information.

To open the Privacy Guard dialog box, click on the 'Privacy Guard' toolbar button from the Main window or select the 'Privacy Guard' command from the Erase menu. The Privacy Guard has a Wizard intuitive interface.

The Privacy Guard dialog box lets you choose between running the Basic or the Advanced mode.

The Basic mode will run all the pre-configured defaults. This option is recommended for most users.
    The Advanced mode allows you to choose your own options for the Privacy Guard. It contains the following major components:

Windows Sensitive Areas

Select this option to remove sensitive information the Windows operating system has stored on your computer without your knowledge or approval. You can clear sensitive information from the swap file, delete temporary files created by applications, destroy evidence of your previous activities, delete Thumbs.db files etc. This will allow you to protect your computer privacy.

NOTE: The Windows Sensitive Areas page also has an option that allows you to find and erase files that contain alternate data streams on NTFS. The NTFS file system provides applications the ability to create alternate data streams for each stored file/folder. Although these streams are not visible to the average users, they can be easily found on the disk even after the actual file that they belong to are deleted. The streams contain any kind of sensitive information since they have the same format as normal files do.

Browsers Sensitive Areas

Your computer documents not only your web browsing activity (sites visited, etc.) but retains any picture or graphic previously viewed for easy and fast retrieval. Select this option to remove all traces of your Internet activity: history, cookies, text, pictures and sounds. This area protects your Internet privacy.

Applications Sensitive Areas

Use this option to remove sensitive information from the popular applications and programs installed on your computer (e.g. AOL Messenger, ICQ 2002, Windows Media Player 9, RealOne Player, RealPlayer 8, Adobe Photoshop 7.x, and many more). The available applications and programs are displayed in the Applications Areas, in the Privacy Guard. This list is updated continuously on http://www.east-tec.com.

Peer2Peer Sensitive Areas

Use this option to remove sensitive information from the popular Peer2Peer applications and programs installed on your computer (e.g. Kazaa, Kazaa Lite, iMesh, Napster, Morpheus, Direct Connect, Limewire, Shareaza, and many more). The available Peer2Peer applications and programs are displayed in the Peer2Peer Sensitive Areas, in the Privacy Guard. This list is updated continuously on http://www.east-tec.com.

NOTE: You should check only the applications and programs that are installed on your computer. A warning message will appear once you select an application or program that is not installed.

After selecting an application (already installed on your computer), the 'Properties' button will allow user to set his own erasing options for that application.

News and Email Readers

Use this option to remove traces of newsgroup activities (messages, binaries, etc.) and deleted email messages from popular news and email programs (Outlook Express, Agent Newsreader, Eudora etc.). The available news and email programs are displayed in the News & Email Readers area, in the Privacy Guard.

Custom Sensitive Areas

The Privacy Guard also allows you to target specific files and folders to Erase Beyond Recovery. You can use this special feature to destroy files and folders that usually contain sensitive data (such as password files, business plans, trade secrets, financial records, etc.). You can also eliminate data from registry entries that may contain sensitive information. If you want find out how to create new custom sensitive areas, please read the Creating Custom Sensitive Areas section.

Press the Start button to erase the selected sensitive information. The data will be destroyed in accordance with the specified erase setting.

NOTE: After running the Privacy Guard you will be prompted to restart your computer. This step is necessary to delete certain "locked" Windows files.

Don't forget to read the Important facts about the Privacy Guard feature topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.