Internet track erasers?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by notageek, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I tried a few, like IE Privacy Keeper and SuperCleaner and notice that when I try to recover the so-called erased files, I was about to recover them. Anyone know a program besides Heidi Eraser that will erase internet tracks?

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

3. Carver

Carver Guest

4. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

CleanUp! in Custom CleanUp! mode with Fully Erase Files (overwrite) checked.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

6. notageek

CCleaner don't fully erase anything.

I tried UltraWipe a few years back and they didn't wipe like they claim, iy was still recoverable.

Anyone here using Windowwasher? does it do what it claims?

7. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

I use Tracks Eraser Pro and I really like it (it is not free but has a free trial and then you have to purchase it). One of the unique features is it allows you to set how many times you want a file you are erasing to be overwritten.

Even though TE out of the box covers a lot of tracks, you can also write your own plug-ins to erase whatever you want to and/or select from a large library of pre-made plug-ins also.

HTH ;) ...

Attached Files:

8. notageek

OK Thanks. TEP is awesome I'm trialing right now but it don't clean Mozilla or Firefox download manager. :( But I can use IE Privacy for that.

9. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

I do not use Mozilla, but if you know what files and/or reg keys you want to erase, there is a built in plug-in maker that you can use to write a plug-in to do it. It is really pretty simple and straight forward as long as you know what you want to erase.

10. notageek

I don 't know them.

11. jackvance

jackvance Guest

Yes ccleaner should really have some sort of secure cleaning mode. It's need not be that good, just good enough.

For freeware stuff, I second cleanup, and there's another one cleancache (using various erasing methods), primarily does browsers but cleans other basic stuff too. CCleaner has a more complete list of entries to clean, but I add these entries to the list of "additives" in cleancache to get the best of both worlds.

12. notageek

13. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

At the end of a session I'll run (in this order):

CleanCache 3.2 - http://www.buttuglysoftware.com/ - (with "Use Secure Cleaning" checked in the "Options" tab, radio button "Single Pass (random bytes)" set with "Number of wiping runs" set to 35)

TracksEraserPro v5.5 - http://www.acesoft.net/ - with "Enable Secure Erasing" check-marked on the "Security" tab "Over-write files" set to 10 times

CCleaner v1.25.201 - Run with all options checked on the "Windows" tab.

Then I run Index.dat Suite v2.9.0 - http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datsuite - with all of its' options checked to clear all index.dat's and to defrag upon re-start of my account.

Of course, PageDefrag - http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PageDefrag.html - runs at start-up or re-start, too, before I log into my account so that IdS can run.

Round it out with a hearty daily "Eraser v5.7" - http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ - run on all that new "free-space", and things will remain pretty tidy.

Remember - when at all possible if you know what you're doing - never let your "eraser" type programs either "log" or "back-up".

There's not much use in "erasing" things to begin with if you do.

Also remember that, while file names that you've erased may be recoverable, the files themselves are over-written beyond any hope of recovery in the scenario above. Pete

14. notageek

How do you stop the logging in Track Eraser Pro?

Thanks Spy1.

15. nicM

nicM nico-nico

you should try Ace Utilities v.3: it does wipe IE history (no recovery) now

http://www.acelogix.com/index.html

nicM

16. notageek

Thanks.

17. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Like this:

Attached Files:

18. Vernor

Vernor Guest

There is nothing wrong with logging really, if the log is simply a listing of file names. After all as Spy1 notes, the file names *may* be recoverable anyway.

Backups of the erased files is another whole kettle of fish of course.

19. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I use CleanCache 3, it can clean IE, Mozilla/Firefox and Opera. You can also try FreshUI 7.46 for a Pro-active approach to automatically erased internet tracks.. it contains many options for you and its also free.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  20. notageek

OK I got a few programs that I'm trying out. I got Track Eraser Pro, WindowsWasher and Ace. I like all 3 and might keep them all. For my data I don't want recover (like ban stuff) I use Eraser and have my own wipe that I use. Wehn I try to recover files and file names with a recover tool, I get all 0's for the name. Must be working. LOL I don't know which one of there programs over writes then name of the file but that would good if they added that if they don't already have it.

21. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

I use Window Washer, not only for the scope of the files it will clear, but also because you can chose which method the deleted files can be overwritten.

I understand that a renewal fee will be payable for this software at the end of 12 months, so may switch to Ultra PC Cleaner from www.superwin.com, where no annual fee is charged.

22. notageek

You only renewal if you want updates and support. I'm fine without support and no updates for now. I'm still trialing it and if after my trial is up and I don't like it I'll uninstall it and use something else. Thanks for the info though.

23. Ryan Stats

Ryan Stats Guest

I wouldn't trust Windows washer.

24. notageek

Why? What's wrong with windows washer?

25. Carver

Carver Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.