Internet Speed Explaination

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mikel108, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I have tried to figure out this whole internet speed thing and am lost. Hopefully someone can explain it to me. I recently upgraded my internet service. I use Sympatico and live about 6 blocks from the server (or whatever it is called that sends the feed). I upgraded to a 3MB service. I understand that I probably will not get the whole 3MB as its just an advertising gimmick and probably the only person getting that is in the building with the server (LOL). I have read different explainations about internet speed and I did a DSL Reports test. My question would be am I getting what I should be from the results below, or am I being shorted.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-03-18 21:51:54 EST:
    1410 / 661
    Your download speed : 1410 kbps or 176.3 KB/sec.
    That is 27.1% worse than an average user on sympatico.ca

Your upload speed : 661 kbps or 82.6 KB/sec.
    That is 32.4% better than an average user on sympatico.ca

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u paid for 3mpbs (download), then u are not getting what u should. for 3mbps, id expect closer to 384KB/sec. u didnt mention what ur upload is, so i cant comment. also try testing ur connection at other sites. just google for "bandwidth test" or "internet speed test". heres some:

test from pcpitstop
    test from cnet
    test from speakeasy
    test from internetfrog (needs java)

3. mikel108

Thanks WSFuser,

My upload was 661 kbps or 82.6 KB/sec.

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

you should test using a number of different test tools here:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?more=1

and I would test at different times of the day/night to get your average. Try to use a test site which is geographically close and on the same backbone provider (more important to be on the same backbone I'd suggest).

Mine varies a little, but not a LOT, as we are cat5 connected to our ISP, who happens to be in the same building as us (very lucky I guess) - only when their network is under extreme load do I notice a difference.

However, at home, my DSL is different all the time - and Qwest's answer is that it's all theoretical speeds (what a crock)... but it's worth arming yourself with a number of speed tests, and if your speed doesn't approach 70-80% of the purchased download speed - complain like hell!

5. mikel108

Thanks for the insight. I am happy with the speed I have, it's just if I am supposed to have a lot more I would like it.

My other question about this would be. I was told I would be sent different install discs for the internet. Would this make a difference? I remember it does set a PPPoE during install. Does this tell the line to send more? Sorry for my ignorance on this subjet, but it is all greek to me.

Mike

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the install discs are there to help u setup ur dsl. it guides u thru hardware installation, u can setup ur account, and itll probably install a browser.

if ur dsl is already working, ur modem/router likely already has the pppoe info setup and u wont need the cds. u should have some manual for ur dsl, it has info on accessing ur modem/router settings, so u can double check if ur pppoe info is in there.

also if ur concerned about ur dsl speed, double check that all the phone jacks connected to same line as ur dsl, have dsl filters. without the filters, ur speed can be affected.

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Lol,

depending on which site i go to, it ranges from my internet speed is crap to speed is awesome. :rolleyes:

snowbound

8. mikel108

Well I called Bell's tech support. I had to run there test first, which showed a download rate of 112kbps. I was told I should get 130 to 180. I was told to change this and that setting. I had to type in a command prompt. I was told to retry their test which started at 228kbps but quickly degraded down to 85kbps:eek: . It was worse. I was told to stop all process's using msconfig startup and reboot. They asked if anything strange was there or and extra programs I had. I said just Digital Line Detect which Dell gave me to protect their modem from overheating(?). I rebooted and the best I could get is around 115kbps. I was told it must be my end. MMMM..straight from jack to modem to pc..anyways maybe I will try a reformat and clean off any junk that may be left. Anyways I just wanted to update all those that have helped so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.