Internet slow after v3 install, any help appreciated

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by marvy, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marvy

marvy Registered Member

Hi, I'm looking for any help. I recently installed NOD32 v3 0 551 on my Vista PC. Immediately following, my internet has slowed drastically. It reminds me of when we had a dialup connection. Painfully slow!

I know it's not our ISP because my other computer on our home network (which does not have NOD32) is still at the same speed. Performance on non-internet apps is about the same, but internet is slow either with IE or Firefox.

Not sure where to start or begin. I tried disabling some of the features on NOD32 and testing a few webpages but nothing seemed to help. The only other change I've made to this computer is to add some RAM. Nothing else.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

You have the old version. Download and install version .621.

3. stevenz

stevenz Registered Member

helo
    look at the setup for web access protection and try with advanced heuristics turned off etc.
    also under web access protection ,http, web browser,see if active mode is on/off.

4. Dieselman

That was a known issue with earlier versions. That was fixed with version .621 so I suggest you download and install the latest version of NOD32.

5. marvy

marvy Registered Member

Thanks, OK, I turned Advance Heuristics off. Nothing was set to Active. I tested some webpages both with Firefox set to Active and Not Active. I didn't notice any difference, still extremely slow.

I'm going to uninstall and re-install with the latest version. Will report back.

Thanks.

6. marvy

marvy Registered Member

Uninstalled the old version and downloaded & installed v 3 0 621.

Good news, it is somewhat faster. For example I can now click my back button and generally get to the prev page in less than 5 seconds. This is a huge improvement...it was taking 10+ seconds. So I appreciate the tip to get the current version.

Bad news, it's still unreasonably slow at other times. I wish I knew how to quantify - It seems like the first time I'm at a site, it's always slow. If I return to the site later, it might load faster...or it might not. Prior to NOD32 I had pretty consistent speeds regardless of the site with Firefox and IE. Any ideas?

I tested my up/down speeds and they are the same before & after installing 621. So I don't think that is a factor.

Thanks.

7. stevenz

stevenz Registered Member

hello again
    i know you stated you use both ie and firefox and have a problem with both .
    however,i googled firefox tweaks and found some regarding the prefetch settings,and cache settings that helped me.
    i don't remember exactly what they were .
    there are other firefox tweaks that could help speed up your browsing too.

8. techtype

techtype Registered Member

Most people here are not aware of of the slowdown or not affected enough to bother them. Some of us (probably the most obsessive/compulsive types) had to revert to version 2.7 because of this issue--- because any slowdown bothers us.

9. Dieselman

Honestly speaking I have tried 2.7 and 3.0 and I don't notice any slow downs. All web pages load rather quicky. Like in seconds. I also have a 6MB DSL connection which never slows down. I did notice a major slow down when I tried KAV. All my values are at default for NOD32.

10. martbd

martbd Registered Member

Version 3.0.621 blocks my internet connection with only web and email accessible if I have protocol filtering set to Application marked as Internet Browsers and email clients when I have it to default setting "ports and Application marked as Internet Browsers" nothing works. Any ideas?

11. Dieselman

All I ever did was install NOD32 and under web browser put a check mark next to IE and FF. I dont use advanced filtering and everything else is at default. Have you tried a complete uninstall and reinstall cleaning up any left over files after uninstalling? Do you have a firewall?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.