Internet Security

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by NotANortonFan, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What is the best free Internet Security suite software package (firewall and anti-virus combined), if there is one?

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Hard to rate on this as I would prefer stand alone anytime to an integrated package but if that is what you are looking for, then Panda is excellent, the AV is quite well rated and for firewall, it uses Sygate engine which is a moderately a good firewall.

3. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

i gotta agree with arup. i tried allot of security suites because it just sounded like a good idea to have everything built-in-one. zonealarm security suite, f-secure, norton, and so on.........truly didn't like any of them, and i personally felt they all slowed my computer down considerably.

oops, you said free! i trialed only paid suites, but i would think the free ones would be even worse. with so many differnet options in free firewall, anti-virus programs, and malware programs, i would suggest trying out a few and seeing what seems to work for you and your computer set-up.

anyways, for a free suite, u might want to check out this thread about shaw. allot of users seemed to like it, altough personally i never tried it.

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I don't know about free suites, but Avast is a very food free AV and the firewall built into XP SP2 works, or you could go with Kerio 2.15 if you want something with basic outbound control and more control over which ports talk to which programs.

5. BornMember

BornMember Registered Member

"...check out this thread about shaw" (Intoxicated) ShawSecure is basically F-Secure and Adaware pro rebranded.

It initially slowed down my PC but after disabling certain features and giving it some time (to settle) it's running ok. Here is a link of my experiance with it https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=73213

You should also note that the suite updates using backdoor. You will find more info. if you search the forum.

The suite offers more than just a AV and Firewall, as parental control and anti spyware are included.

Would I recommed it? it depends on the spec of your PC. If you have enough RAM and and a decent CPU go for it, if not forget it.

Hope this helps

Born

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for me, the only security suites i rele tried was norton which i hate and zonealarm which is okay. i heard good things about pc-cillin tho.

7. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

My own experience with Security suits has been sub-optimal. I feel its always better to use products from differnt vendors and come up with a configuration that is both stable and secure.
    I recommend:
    Avast Pro/Bitdefender Std with Zonealarm/KPF.
    Spyware blaster, spybot, adaware.
    Mozilla Thunderbird
    All in one Secretmaker
    a2 and ewido free
    Prevx Home/Process guard

8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I think you are better off trying to put together a set of good freeware products, e.g Avast, A-squared (A2), ZoneAlarm Free, Ewido Free, Prevx Home, ProcessGuard Free, etc. However, nowadays, even if you practice "safe-browsing", I would highly recommend at least paying for a top-rated AV such as KAV 4.5 to put on your machine. Even innocent browsing using Google, can land you at a site that pops you a good one (it happened to me). The latest Consumer Reports report on condoms confirmed that the cheapest condoms are the ones most likely to break. And you really don't want your protection to break - especially with all of the nasty viruses that you may contract nowadays.

Rich

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Creature NotaNortonFan,
    Build your own Suite. ;) Take the 'best' of all and put them together. Yea, I know that is not what you are really asking, but you get my point I hope. I think there are no free suites to my knowledge. Pretty much the path richrf has taken I think is the way to go. I would at least get a free trojan scanner too. ;)

10. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Condoms? We should all be so lucky as to need them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.