Internet Explorer still growing as Windows 7 starts its decline

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wild Hunter, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Desktop:

Mobile:

Windows 8:

News Source: http://arstechnica.com/information-...till-growing-as-windows-7-starts-its-decline/

Data Source: http://netmarketshare.com/

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

The Worldwide browser marketshare is a broken, biased chart as they apply country weightings, so its not a global market share, but an aggregate country trend (because a small country such as Luxemburg will carry the same weight as China, irrespective of how many people in that population are internet users).

Cheers, Nick

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Of course, Windows 7 has started its decline. You can´t buy it anymore.

4. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Also it is skewed by devices, and as default installations. IE's numbers are often higher merely because it is launched by default in some cases. You could safely subtract 20-30% off IE numbers to get a more accurate picture.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Why not mention the subtitle too? :D

I had said this a while ago, the first people to accept and use Windows 8 will likely be gamers, in no small part due to DirectX 11.1 (though no games actually use it, gamers like to have software that is able to utilize the hardware, to run benchmarks etc.) :)

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Re: Internet Explorer still growing as Windows 7 starts its decline

I might be missing something here but as far as I know you can't actually purchase Win 7 now. So in effect, any new customers have no choice but to buy Win 8.

'Microsoft says that 4 million users upgraded to Windows 8 over the weekend after its release, which CNET says was well below Microsoft's internal projections and have been described inside the company as disappointing.' ~ Wikipedia

Hmmm ... *scratches chin & stares mournfully into the middle distance* this kind of says it all.

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

IE 10 will get much higher as soon as MS releases the final version for Windows 7 I believe, though it may drop right back down again after most give it a test drive and go right back to their Chrome and Firefox they've used in between glacial periods..I mean..IE releases.

Windows 8, can we just go ahead and admit to the obvious failure now? The "Big Sale" (Black Friday, Cyber Monday, all those things) is done and over with, and Windows 8 is still a fart in a tornado. Will it ever so slowly climb? Of course it will unless those on Windows 7 stay with it, move to Linux or wait out the short time until the next Windows release (probably much shorter due to said fail of 8 ). It'll get a lift from Surface Pro as well if an acceptable number of people decide to buy it (which may not happen either at current prices and low performance.)

8. Wild Hunter

How so?

http://netmarketshare.com/faq.aspx#Country

It seems impossible that "Luxemburg will carry the same weight as China" according to what is explained there.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  9. Wild Hunter

Yes you are.
    Buy Windows 7 directly from MS: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/list/parentCategoryID.44066700/categoryID.60521000

False statement. You can buy Windows 7 directly from MS (and several other sources) and many Windows 8 machines come with downgrade rights to 7.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  10. Wild Hunter

A more accurate picture of what?

http://netmarketshare.com/faq.aspx#Vary

You could say the same about any other built-in browser of any other platform. This is a normal reason, not an excuse reason, you don't have to exclude this.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  11. Wild Hunter

Again, false statement. See here.

12. Wild Hunter

I mentioned the parts of the text that the data source http://netmarketshare.com/ more strongly supports IMO. Conjectures based on Valve/Steam polls, I didn't mention.

13. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Thats how.

14. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

How much of that growth is because of this?

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Maybe, but you would think the DoD would have a custom made browser. But probably not. :doubt:

16. Daveski17

As usual, these are more semantic games by you. How long are MS going to sell Win 7 to the general public? Until 2020? Why aren't they advertising Win 7 any more? I hate to use a car analogy (again) but many automotive manufacturers will sell new & older models concomitantly. Microsoft aren't really doing this though are they? Virtually every new computer that I have seen has Win 8 preinstalled.

It doesn't matter how much you keep flogging this dead horse, or bandy semantics, at the end of the day Win 8 has not been the success that Microsoft had hoped for.

17. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, considering full-blown support for Windows 7 ends in 2015, I don't think they'll be selling it until 2020. 2020 is when support ends period if I recall correctly. As to Windows 7 still being sold, yes, some systems are in fact still being sold, they're just no longer out on the physical showroom floors at most places.

18. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

That means very little, actually. You have to remember, deals like this are usually and in this case is about millions of dollars worth of licenses and access to these products. It doesn't mean all those licenses are going to be physically used. You could have bought a Windows 8 license during the 40 dollar run and not used it until next year or at all if you had changed your mind. It still counts to MS as a sell, but would in no way be able to be used in any count of how much Windows 8 is in use or even if it's successful. In fact, many folks were told just that, to buy up these licenses while they were cheap even if you didn't need or want Windows 8 right this minute because afterward you were going to pay through the nose.

So no, that isn't "growth" by itself, that's just good information for those required earnings calls.

19. Wild Hunter

I still don't see "how". Unless the CIA table shows Luxemburg with the same percentage of global Internet traffic as China, which would be extremely weird.

20. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

Wikipedia uses 5+ sources on this page for desktop and mobile browsers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers
    Most of them show Chrome overtaking IE in 2012 for desktop usage share.

As a side note, it'll be interesting to see whether or not Win 8 ever overtakes Win 7 in market share. It won't surprise me if it never overtakes Win 7.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think it will. I think they will move on with 9 and other things before 8 really goes anywhere...

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Now that IE is getting better and better i could see this coming, people will not really care about the browser since they all perform almost the same. :D

23. Daveski17

Yeah, 8's a bit of a turkey. I have a feeling that we will be seeing 9 sooner than MS expected. If they wait too long I also have a feeling that they may lose customers to Mac or Ubuntu or something.

24. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

In my opinion, neither one. Macs are still a bit too high-priced to begin to take on the number of users Windows has, and, well, Linux is Linux and Ubuntu in my opinion is going the wrong way and really offers very little benefit over Windows at this point minus being free.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's the real problem... since there are no real viable alternatives, MS indeed has us over the monopolistic barrel and can do pretty much whatever the heck they want... they can even have a massive failure of products for 2 or 3 years without even hurting much.. We just have to wait and hope for the best, and see how it plays out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.