Internet Explorer and Outlook Express??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cochise, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Here's one for the 'Gipper'...Is it possible to totally uninstall IE and OE and then re-install them all brand spanking new and shiney....without causing injury to life, limb or health or never to be heard from on the net ever again Please.?

I've done the Repair bit Add/remove but I just think mine needs a bit of renewal or something....it just ain't sharp anymore...

My thoughts being that if one totally deletes IE how do you D/L it if you can't access the net?....I bet Archimedes never had this problem in his bath......

Cochise, :cool:

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Cochise

This has nothing to do with your question :) , have you tried Firefox?

IE is not being developed anymore and it is very stale.

On the other hand, Firefox is a blast to mess with.

Once you learn it, you won't go back.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I may give that a go Mate...but I would still like to know why if I type an addy into my browser I get a M$ error message saying a fault has occurred and would I like to send a report to MS... either way Yes or No I get returned to my Browser...only Wilders is accepted? If I type into GOOGle I get anywhere I like?? Bummer... Starting to annoy me now.....ergo why I would like to uninstall etc., to see if it cures my prob......

Brassed off, Cochise, :cool:

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I think I would post that question in the Browser Hijacks and Spyware Problems forum to see if anyone jumps on it.
    It may not be the problem. Me, I would start there. :)

5. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks ronjor, my main man....I guess I had better give that a go....I've run every Malware snuffer in my arsenal but nothing shows up..... :'(

THANKS, Cochise, :cool:

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Cochise

Those IE problems can be insidious! Since IE now resides in the operating system, it could anything. :D

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Not really what I want to hear :D :D ..Your frightening me now Buddy.... ;)

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

9. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Took your good advice snowbound and did just that thank you...doesn't appear to have come up with anything much though.....Good guy Pieter is giving it a good coat of looking at at the moment....so I've just stood the Wife on her head in the corner for Good Luck...(An Olde English Custom) :D

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Cochise

Do you run scandisk and defrag every so often?

You could try that while you are waiting for a better answer. :)

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Yep! Sure do ronjor mate, all the time....even got the mouse Droppings impregnated 'T' Shirt :D.....I run everything on a regular basis...even sfc just for the excitement...damn thing has never found a corrupted file yet, but I still live in hopes.. :D LOL

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Computers do have a way of changing boredom into sheer terror you know! :D

13. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

The problem you are having is a KNOWN >microsoft< exploit...a rather old one at that....if you allow the report it goes to M$.....un-protected...not sure how I can explain that....but its not good LOL........actually, this same exploit got several government agencies.....that was some time back.....

Are you sure you have IE fully patchedo_O The problem was corrected supposedly.

14. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Well if that's true SnowGuy my friend, I think it would be safe to assume I don't have that particular little patchypoos...Drat! and Rats!...sooo..any idea where I might find the Patch number?....I've made a fairly good attempt to find anything pertaining to this prob on M$ Support etc., with no result....Now I come to tink of it, I started with this problem after D/Ling and playing that 'Battleship' game, I put it in my faves but all got after that when I tried to play it was this M$ Message....Mmmmm! so now what I wonder..... o_O

15. snowguy

snowguy Guest

ever since my last post I've been trying to locate the old advisory on this issue...but can't find it..............was hoping someone else here would still remember the exploit....an further verify........
    windows update should have already installed the patch if you updated within the past year....lol...its an old exploit..........someone may still remember it......its more than two years old
    you may have read my recent post stating that installing a free game also installed a trojan....
    That website you guys were going to to play that game...under those click bottons was ad-type tracking.....so..I refused to play the game.....you take it from here.......
    if this is in fact the problem..you personally can't fix it....has to be patched by M$........say, which version of IE are you using ?

16. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

17. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

Comments:

I didn't notice the date on that posted thread..will go back to see...but

Following is a statement by M$:

Note Because all error reports are confidential and anonymous, Microsoft Support Professionals do not have access to any error report that you have sent to Microsoft over the Internet. To view the data-collection policy for Microsoft's Error Reporting service, view the following Microsoft Web site:

Now don't quote me on this....but....if I recall..the issue was that when the report was sent it also sent "other" info....such as what files the User was using at that moment.......those agancies afore mention actually sent secure info by mistake.....again..its been a long time ago...I may not recall this correctly.

also...in my add/remove.....their is no such option as reported by M$..to remove this feature......in fact...I have never known of there being any such option......others comments welcomed.............I am going to check the registry setting on this one....

since this applies to IE 5.5 - 6.......maybe good reading for others

18. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

I just finished making the new dword value in the registry that M$ refers to..........I am here..so guess nothing has been harmed.......will drive the pc this way for awhile to see how all goes.....

19. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Your SO right SnowGuy...there isn't anything in Add/Remove and never has been.....but your link at least shows the message I get which is something mate...Thanks for that...when it pops up it freezes the screen so I can't Copy it, Save it, printscreen or right click...all I can do is either answer Yea or Nay and return to Browser.
    Is it me or do you find this M$ Support stuff total drivel that just sends you round in ever decreasing circles until you finish up your own you know where...I can't honestly say I have ever seen anything that really helps....I find it to be just a load of M$Speak thats designed to make your brain go Fuzzy :D :D.....I'm on Dialup and Win 98se....as we're on the subject of Fuzzy :)

Your help is most appreciated....Cochise, :cool:

PS. Off Topic..may I wish you every success in whatever new direction your life takes you and may you always find what makes you Happy...

20. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

The Right Honorable Cochise

was my pleasure.........I did that registry work-around.....have not had any ill-effects so far.......but if a person is not comfortable playing in the registry.......very best to stay-out of it.........
    M$ is not very helpful......unless after the problem becomes known by the public..........in fact, its usually not M$ who finds the problems but someone else...........
    actually this so-called work-around has me wondering..if you notice the program Dr watson is involved in the work-around....but will leave that to others.

thanks for the good wishes Chief....I must admit these are changing times for me......taking a great deal just to stay focused....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.