Internet Explorer 9 to be the Fastest and Safest Web Browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I was using 'the English' as a collective definitive adjective & Berners-Lee was in brackets. It is not uncommon to use this construction in colloquial English & especially dialect. I tend to think in my Frisian descended Mercian dialect & write everything down literally. English is very varied in regional dialects, a lot of my relatives still use the dative (& accusative) 2nd person singular pronoun 'yeow' with 'yeowan' utilised for the genitive & sometimes the plural.

The 2nd person nominative plural 'ye' & the singular accusative/dative/informal 'thee' are still used in much of the North. They also have a lot of Danish dialect words (from the Vikings).

The denotative & nominative 2nd person singular 'thou' has virtually disappeared however & was even antiquated at the time of the King James Bible.

;)

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

@Dave: IE9 won't be included in automatic updates until likely months into next year as a final release. Even then, not everyone will try it. Those of us who have gotten used to Firefox, Chrome and others will just take it as a part of our regular Windows patch ritual and ignore it.

3. Daveski17

OK, I'm in no great hurry to see IE9 anyway. I just hope the upgrading process is a relatively straightforward one. If I remember IE8 had a few interface screens/wizard & radio buttons for me to tick or not. o_O

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh I'm sure MS will find something to keep you occupied for a bit before they leave you alone, lol.

5. Daveski17

At least it's something to look forward to! :doubt:

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

At the risk of being modded for digressing, shouldn't there be a hyphen in there?:doubt:

(As you may guess, or tend to guess, I have nothing to say about IE9.)

7. Daveski17

I thought about it but considered it unnecessary. It's a moot point though. Fowler doesn't believe that there is any real consistency in the use of the hyphen & its infinite variety defies description. The primary function of a hyphen is for two or more words to be read together as a single word with its own meaning. There is some argument for its use in composite nouns consisting of a noun preceded by an attribute. Although there are no hard & fast rules.

You aren't looking forward to IE9? :eek:

OK, are you a Mac user, a Linux user, or do you run XP?

As for me, I can't wait ... now, that's irony! :cool:

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Glad to know Fowler's still current. It used to be punishment reading. I vaguely remember something about docking one's prolixity. 'nuff said ;)

(Another school believes in compressing the least amount of sense into the maximum number of words.)

XP forever :D unless philanthropic Billy boy decides to distribute free PCs with Win(whatever Ultimate) in his favourite third world country.

9. Daveski17

Yeah, XP is the OS that refuses to die! Oddly, I'm one of those strange people who actually prefers Vista. :blink:

Early next year I may buy a new Windows desktop, a mate of mine makes them to custom order, in fact he made my old desktop. I'll see what all the fuss is about 64 bit Win 7 then.

I'm sticking to my guns, I honestly believe that IE9 won't be much different to IE8. It may be faster & improved, but to most end users it will be about the same. I can't see anything dragging me away from Chrome in the foreseeable future (with the possible exception of Fx 4).

Fowler was a bit of a wit ... or something like that. ;)

10. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Thus far, I am very impressed with IE 9. It feels faster than every other browser I have. I hope they can stay on-top in terms of security flaws and such, would be a cool come back for Internet Explorer.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Where i can get it? :argh:

12. guest

guest Guest

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/

Click on the "Install the Preview!" green button.

Note that this is a PLATFORM preview. For this reason, it doesn't even contain basic browser features like an address bar. It's made for "developers, designers, and partners to start getting their sites ready for the IE9 Beta".

We will still have to wait some weeks before IE 9 Beta comes.

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What does that mean? Will these sites now be browser-specific all over again? I was under the impression that MS was going to be more in line with standards.

14. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

About Opera, I keep my view that his developers go on to think that is enough to do a very good browser, and it " will speak for itself ", and so, as others said here, they are not advertising aggressive. Opera has not so many extensions because many options are already in the program. And, speak outright, many FF extensions are only " special effects " to look.

About IE 9, and 10...: I never will understand why use a browser that offer many useful features - as tabs navigation, speed dial....- long time after other browsers ( Opera, FF, Chrome...) gave them to the users. o_O o_O And not talking about changing skins......

15. Daveski17

I still say Opera's main problem is page rendering. A few extensions wouldn't hurt, especially a good adblocker.

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Now see, page rendering I don't consider a problem in Opera, but I DO consider it a problem in Chrome.

@Blacknight: The developers are wrong. The browser can't "speak for itself" when nobody is around to listen. I wholeheartedly agree on your comments about Firefox extensions being mostly fluff to make things look good. And I REALLY agree with you regarding IE. They are WAY behind in a lot of areas.

17. Daveski17

That's interesting, Chrome only breaks a couple or so pages for me, but if I remember correctly Opera had more breakages. I must say that in my experience that Opera wasn't very problematical, in fact it was my default browser for about a year. I know it broke a lot of pages for many people. After a while though I found that I was using Iron 80% of the time. Ever since Google have altered their attitude to user tracking I have switched to Chrome as it is a bit more stable. Opera has some really good things on it . I do miss WOT if I ever use Opera though.

18. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Ya, if this is their mind, I not defend: the mine is only a trial to understand their behaviour about advertising.

Confirm: no problem with Opera with page rendering. ;)

19. Eice

Eice Registered Member

It screws up Google Docs for me.

A shame, really. It seems like a nice browser, but given how much I depend on Google Docs...

20. guest

guest Guest

21. Daveski17

It seemed to do a lot of odd things in Google for me & doesn't seem to work well in Gmaps, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail & others. Much as I liked Opera I got bored with having to switch to another browser a lot. :mad:

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks! Here's a snippet from your link:
    That should be a relief for all concerned.

One niggling issue ... why does MS intend to restrict use of the browser to Windows 7 (or Vista?) and higher?

23. guest

guest Guest

IE9's graphics hardware acceleration relies on the Direct2D and DirectWrite DirectX APIs.

Support for those APIs is built into Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 and was added to Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 in the Platform Update for SP2, but cannot be extended to Windows XP.

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Secret attempt to force all those users who keep crying and crying until MS delays XP's death, to switch their OS finally so MS can make more money? :D

25. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I'm not sure if you're joking, but I don't see people shelling out a couple hundred dollars just so they can run IE9, which costs nothing itself. If anything, they're far likelier to simply stick to XP and abandon IE for alternative browsers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.