Internet Explorer 9 Released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuti

kuti Registered Member

Anyone know a decent free adblock flash?

That all I need now on IE9.

Cheers

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i would think Active-X filtering would fit the bill, no?

you can't even watch youtube when it is engaged.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You shouldn't have an issue with ads when using fanboy's TPL's.

http://www.fanboy.co.nz/ie.html
    Added them all.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just installed here. I'm a Chrome fan, but I must say this is really nice. I might just switch... :)

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Oh OK. Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that the sidebar consumed a lot of RAM, so I sort of assumed that was the root of the problem. But if the gadgets are tied into the IE engine that would explain it.

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Although I'm not a regular IE user, I upgraded to IE9, and I dislike the fact there's no fast way to enable blocked cookies. IE8 was much better in that way.

At least, they could make it work like Chromium in what concerns to cookies.

I don't like it much. It may be faster than IE8 and introduce new features, but it lacks some decent usability, IMHO.

I always have cookies blocked and then allow on a per-site basis, when required. IE8 allowed me to quickly allow them. Chromium allows a better experience than IE8.

For me, IE8 is much better than IE9 in terms of usability.

-edit-

I also don't like the lack of usability with the InPrivate Filtering either (It has a different name in IE9, but I haven't searched for the English term, so I apologize for not mentioning the proper name.)

7. elapsed

m00nbl00d, the internet options are the exact same in IE9 as they were in IE8, probably also IE7.

Open up the cookies menu, select block all, click sites, add sites to allow list. Or simply use the import function to import a list of good sites.

I personally block all 3rd party cookies outright, I'm not sure why anyone would want to block first party cookies.

8. m00nbl00d

You got me wrong. I'm talking about the little icon that used to appear in IE8 down bar (or whatever is called lol). All I had to do was to click it and allow the needed cookies. Now... pftt. Same deal for InPrivate Filtering usability... pfttt.

Microsoft takes the name "Windows" way too serious. :rolleyes:

-edit-

At least, they made it possible to have tabs in a separate row; not everything is lost.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  9. m00nbl00d

Will that enable all active-x for a given domain? Wouldn't the option to enable Flash on a per-site basis a better approach?

10. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

No, it is a per site basis

11. kuti

kuti Registered Member

I added them all but they aren't help block flash. :mad:

12. kuti

kuti Registered Member

Have you experienced ads flash on youtube tv channels, especially on Channel 4 UK. They usually got 3 to 4 flash advertisements before the tv show is play. It is really annoying, this is not happen with firefox because adblock plus block them all and go straight to the show.

13. elapsed

There's a big difference between "youtube ads" and "block flash". You didn't make it very clear what you wanted.

I'm trying to figure out what domain youtube uses for it's in-video ads, it's probably not on fanboy's list yet.

14. kuti

kuti Registered Member

@elapsed: sorry for my vague post. I tried simple adblock for IE and its working, block all youtube ads. But this application isn't free. Hope you could find a solution.

Regards

15. m00nbl00d

Yes, I know that. But, in setting Active-X protection, and then if allow Active-X for a given domain, then it will allow all Active-X for that domain, right? For what I could dig so far, there's no option to enable Flash or Java etc. It's all or nothing, for what it seems. Bad approach. Mine is better: Flash disabled for all domains and allowed on a per-site basis, and everything else disabled and enabled when needed.

I'm really disappointed with IE9. It's faster and introduces some nice features, I give you that, but it lacks basic usability and functionality. If they had in mind such feature like Active-X control, then for sure they should expand its capabilities.

16. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Can u explain how u do that? TY

17. m00nbl00d

If you go to IE's add-on manager, if you select and right-click the Adobe Flash Player plugin, and then click More information -> Remove all sites. Close the add-on manager.

Go to Youtube, and verify if IE alerts you that Adobe Flash Player wants to initiate. Then, you can allow it for Youtube only. There are two options: Allow it for Youtube (in our example) or Allow it for All domains.

This way, you create a whitelist of domains that can use Flash.

Java plugin does have the same option, but one other user tested it out (I don't use Java) and it doesn't seem to have any effect on it, though.

It does work with Flash.

-edit-

By the way, if you also enable Active-X Filtering, then you won't see a warning that Flash wants to initiate. So, just disable Active-X for the current domain (the blue icon in the address bar), and then you'll get the warning.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  18. m00nbl00d

Only now it came to my attention that IE9 doesn't allow to import/export InPrivate Filtering rules o_O

19. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

I'm still seeing a fair amount of ads. Doubleclick is showing up often as well as others on pretty much every site that has them.

20. ShaneR34

Whew...

I just had IE crap out my system by using 100% of my CPU. I had to manually kill all IE's running processes.

That's not a good sign...

21. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I've had that to happen once. I agree with moon that it is fast but I'm not for sure if I'm going to stick with it for now. I've rolled back and installed it three times so far and get different results each time. Two of the times, flash wouldn't work on YouTube even though everything was set for it to. As of right now, I have it working and best I can tell, the fix was to disable flash in manage addons for a few sessions then re-enable it. My other issue is with my default search page Yippy. Not a biggie but for some reason, it does not want to show the favicon in the urlbar or taskbar recent items. I can save it as favorite and it will show there but not in the other two spots. The one install I had that flash worked, Yippy's favcion worked but the one for Seven Forums didn't work.

22. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I'm keeping it on my pc but not using it. Lacking in simple usability and functions.
    Examples-
    I can't put together the toolbars the way I want them.
    No adblock-and I don't want to be jumping through hoops to put one together.
    Arguably the best of the best put this together and I feel like it's just another example of MS giving us what they decided we wanted.
    I hope I'm wrong.
    Time to sit back and watch.
    Hugger

23. ShaneR34

I don't believe it's a flash issue. Thinking the same, I uninstalled flash and I get the same results.

It only seems to happen when I close the browser...the processes do not close and immediately jump to 25% CPU usage per process.

Weird...

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

25. m00nbl00d

I think I came across another issue with IE9's Parental Controls. While visiting a local blog, which had a Youtube video in one of its articles, I noticed that Parental Controls (I added Fanboy's lists) places its icon on top of the Youtube video on that blog, and if I click on it, the video starts playing.

I may be wrong, but it shouldn't, because I removed Flash execution from all domains, and only play it when required.

With Active-X Filtering, for example in Youtube's own site, if I turn it off, as I previously mentioned then I get a warning from IE asking me if I want to allow it. Youtube also complains I need to install Flash. Makes sense.

I also get it with Parental Controls for the blog, but if I click on the video, it will play! No request to install Flash is shown at all, at the image of what happens on Youtube website.

Seriously speaking: Internet Explorer 9 is a bloody mess. It may be faster than any other IE version, but it lacks usability and functionality.

Also, the UI was designed by whom? A team of kindergarden kids? With all respect to the kindergarden kids, obviously. Internet Explorer 9 team ought to be ashamed of themselves for such result - unfinished!

I look at Chromium and then I look at IE9, and I have no urges. Well, I do have them, but they're 100% compelling me into using Chromium, as I've been for the last ~2 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.