Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 available

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by siljaline, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It kinda did at one time:
    http://malektips.com/xpwtw0002.html

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I see you've found some Dutch TPL's - right on :thumb:

3. Security, skins are also installed as 'external/third party code'. Not allowing third party Active-X, BHO's Taskbars reduced MITB risk, I am only allowing two add-ons and adblock TPL

Attached Files:

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Does disallowing BHO's, etc, require Group Policy Editor? If so is there another way to do this in Windows 7 Home Premium?

5. Setting the registry values manually in the policy section of the registry, sometimes these are mentioned in microsoft technet sources.

Best guess would be to install gpedit hack which pop-ped some time ago. Major Geeks has one (called "add group policy editor" of the Windows Club). Have not used it myself, since I could swap two x64 Win7 Home Premium lisences for two 32 bits ultimate lisences (desktop only has 2 GB, laptop only 4GB so that was a no-brainer).

6. focus

focus Registered Member

7. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Yes. My gadgets disappeared. I simply killed the Windows Sidebar process and restarted it. Everything that I had returned. Several re-boots later and still no problems. :)

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

My first try at that didn't workout, but I may give it another go as there doesn't seem to be an alternative at the moment. I think there would be a market for a standalone utility "front end" for locking down all of these settings in IE. As is it's essentially an attack vector used by viruses and garbage-ware to modify add-ons/toolbars/search engines at will.

9. focus

focus Registered Member

What DPI are you running?

10. Phant0m

Its 125%

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

So, can someone please tell me if this sidebar/gadgets disappearing with IE 11 is just a bug?

Or has Microsaft decided not to support gadgets with IE 11?

Because if this is the case I would re-install IE 11 if I could have my gadgets/sidebar back.

12. focus

focus Registered Member

I tried killing the sidebar process and restarted it and no joy at 125%. All is Ok at 100% though. It's the CPU gadget that is hosed, and the clock on my system, calendar was fine.

@Daveski17 Seems to be a bug. Check the link in #56 above.

edit: added clarification

13. Daveski17

OK thanks for the reply. I had automatically assumed that MS had decided to kill the sidebar for security reasons. I discovered, as did others in the post you linked, that I could click on gadgets both right-click on desktop & click on gadgets in the control panel yet nothing would happen.

Strangely, when I first updated to IE 11 the sidebar was fine, even when I rebooted just to check. It was when I switched the computer on the next day that I noticed that they refused to appear on the desktop. I rebooted & they came back. So, as I was now a tad curious I rebooted again. They promptly disappeared again, this time permanently.

So I rolled IE 11 back to 10. I think it must be a bit of a pain for those doing system restores to get their gadgets back. I know how to uninstall updates thankfully.

It seems to me that MS aren't that interested in improving IE for Win 7. I am a bit sceptical of its security advantages over IE 10 anyway. As I never use IE this is no loss but I think that MS should get their act together with this.

Win 7 was one of the best & most popular OS's they have ever released. If there was a real choice when people are buying a new computer I'd wager over two thirds would rather buy Win 7 than Win 8.

14. Phant0m

"Gadgets are no longer available on our website because the Windows Sidebar platform in Windows 7 and Windows Vista has serious vulnerabilities. Microsoft has retired the feature in newer releases of Windows. Gadgets could be exploited to harm your computer, access your computer's files, show you objectionable content, or change their behavior at any time. An attacker could even use a gadget to take complete control of your PC." - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/gadgets

Windows Vista and 7, you can still get gadgets but not from Microsoft Gadget gallery.

15. Phant0m

Yep, CPU Gadget isn't fully working now.

16. Daveski17

I only use the sidebar gadgets that are actually with Vista & 7 though. I am wondering if MS have deactivated the Win 7 ones deliberately with IE 11.

17. Phant0m

That can't be the case ... if I'm and other IE11 users using some Gadgets. So far we know the CPU Meter doesn't work now after IE11 install. I think the CPU Meter I had was third-party Gadget. ;)

18. Daveski17

Oh OK, it must be a bug then. If they fix this I may eventually reinstall IE 11. I don't know which is worse. Sloppy coding on an upgrade or an official policy of killing something that is used by millions that may be a slight security risk.

I may be totally wrong about this but I doubt that my clock, calendar & weather gadget in the sidebar are gaping security holes. :doubt:

19. Phant0m

Giving Microsoft past, I wouldn't count on it.

It is easy anyways to manually fix. ;)
    Following the user focus giving link in post #56 - 'Gadgets not working with IE-11 Win7 Pro SP-1 (NOT Win8.1 Preview)' and second to last post on that page.

Simply copy the gadgets you want to fix from :\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets location, to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\ ....and proceed with following the instructions.

20. Daveski17

OK thanks but I think that I'll wait for MS to fix the bug. If they don't it won't be a huge loss as I don't use IE anyway. I can live with IE 10.

21. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

I gave IE 11 a try but the problems with IE 10 are still there but worse now.

Facebook wont let me make any comments at all and neither will youtube, this is not new. Now youtube is also completely locking up the browser half the time as well.

On youtube I get "Comments currently unavailable." and on facebook I get "Unable to post comment. Try again."

The system is 7 64 Ultimate on high end hardware with nothing but java and flash installed for the browser. Removing them changes nothing, neither does full reset. There are no issues with FF or IE9.

At this point I am 99% sure one of two hardware peculiarities is messing with things here.

1. I have 3 internet connections load balanced into one.
    2. I run on 5 monitors, 4 1920X1080 and 1 2560X1600.

FF works and I don't have the time to mess with this any more. Just reporting in case this helps someone else with similar issues narrow things down.

22. Daveski17

@nosirrah, if you don't mind me asking, what security advantages do you reckon IE 11 on Win 7 has over IE 10?

23. Phant0m

No real security benefits for IE11 on Windows 7 over IE10 ... besides what is mentioned at http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-claims-internet-explorer-11-makes-web-40-more-secure

Then there is AppContainer, and IE11 supporting this Windows 8+ feature.
    Windows 8 introduces a new process isolation mechanism, called AppContainer, that offers more fine-grained security permissions and which blocks Write and Read Access to most of the system.” .. I found a good read explaining more in depth about AppContainer ... http://news.saferbytes.it/analisi/2013/07/securing-microsoft-windows-8-appcontainers/

However...

Tabs running in Enhanced Protected Mode on Windows 8 run inside an AppContainer. On Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, AppContainer does not exist, so EPM only enables 64bit tabs on a 64bit OS. (That also means that enabling EPM on a 32bit Windows 7 system doesn’t do anything, because a 32bit Windows 7 system supports neither 64bit nor AppContainer).

'Unsupported features on Windows 7' - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/dn394063(v=vs.85).aspx#unsupported_features

I'm using IE11 on Windows 7, and while it would have been nice if Microsoft could have thought up ways to bring more security for Windows 7 users .. I'm very pleased to see unquestionable and significant speed improvements. For me It is running so very speedy and swiftly and not noticing any cons with having installed IE11 except for, but which don't really bother me, some Gadgets is broken. However, fairly easy and quick to resolve anyways.

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

25. Daveski17

OK thanks. My Win 7 machine is 64 bit anyway. I didn't notice any speed differences between IE 10 & 11 to be honest. Either way, I will stick with IE 10 until MS fix 11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.