Internet Explorer 10 Preview 1 Available

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I guess we can file Vista in the same place we filed Windows ME, under "Didn't go so well". I'm really surprised they picked up the pace with IE. Granted, it could still be a year or more before final (note I said could), but I thought they were dead set on two-year cycles for IE? I also wonder how much can change between IE 9 and 10.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

There 's a large crowd of die hard XP users here at Wilders who would never part with their beloved OS even though it has reached the equivalent in age of a human ultra uber centenarian. At first they saw Vista as being the reason for the imminent slow death of XP, trying as hard as possible to find pathetic reasons against XP's demise. Later when it was obvious that change was inevitable Window 7 came as the saviour, the ultimate and real heir to the XP throne.

The damage was done to Vista by this stage, all the rumours about being slow (not true, it was designed for modern hardware) buggy, and what not, created this halo of mistrust which has persisted until today.

There is nothing wrong with it (I compared both Vista and Win7 on the same machine) it does use more memory than Win7 granted, and it is therefore not suitable for slow machines.

I have used MS Internet Explorer as my default browser last in 2004. I can't think of anybody upgrading to Win7 simply because of IE10, nor do I believe that MS is implementing these cycles to force people to upgrade.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Thank you dude.

I graduated from two universities, I can't understand why someone who is supposedly educated continues to troll me even though I have them on ignore. I recognise trolling when I see it, & that's all it is, it isn't anything intelligent.

4. Daveski17

This may be true, however I believe one of the real reasons that many are reluctant to upgrade from XP is that their hardware isn't capable of supporting it.

It was well received, as a whole, in the UK (my country).

This is probably why I have had problems with IE 9 on my underpowered Vista laptop.

I personally thought that Vista was a huge improvement over XP. I have always liked it. Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, it was a marketing disaster for MS. Ever since they have been trying to distance themselves from it. I just believe it deserves a little bit more time in support, that's all. I run Win 7 on my desktop, I could upgrade my laptop to Win 7 but it is three years old & is set up more or less how I like it. I don't want to take the chance yet of anything going wrong with the upgrade. I know people who have had problems.

I think Vista should have been given a little more time. That's all.

5. Daveski17

MS want to file it in the rubbish bin! LOL

Maybe IE 10 will work properly & have decent extensions?

(Do I see an airborne mammal of the subfamily suinae? :D )

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Actually wasn't the problem with Vista the lack of drivers/hardware? If I remember right, during those early days of Vista, more complaints about "Vista-ready" hardware were voiced than complaints about the OS itself. In fact, if I am remembering right, it was the various hardware vendors who were a bit sluggish in supporting it.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm ready for an IE with extensions like Chrome and Firefox have. But, I'm sure that idea is being tossed around if not already planned. Knowing them, it would all be Active X. At that point, I'd use their extensions when the aforementioned mammal was hovering over my place.

7. Daveski17

You're probably right. This was more probably Stateside though, I don't remember any real negative publicity here in the UK. I remember reading reviews about it & they all seemed to be highly positive. It was considered aesthetically a huge improvement over previous MS operating systems & every other reviewer seemed to be ranting over how beautiful it looked & how much easier it was use than XP. I really don't know where it all went wrong. I don't know how true it was, but someone told me that some manufacturers selling computers that had just under a Gig of RAM, tried to sell them with Vista installed. To be totally honest though I really don't know where it all went wrong for Vista. It sort of reminds me of stories I have been told about the Morris Marina.

I bet good money MS would still make a pig's ear of it! :D

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.