Internet Cleanup 2.0

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Liquid_Fish, Sep 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liquid_Fish

Liquid_Fish Registered Member

has anybody ever used Internet Cleanup 2.0 by ontrack? If so, whats your opinion of it? How would you rank it relative to some of the competitive products.

http://www.ontrack.com/internetcleanup/

thanks in advance.

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi LF,

Yes, I own it.
    It is a nice tool, you can definitely do a lot with it; for a lot of it you have to tell it exactly what you want it to do for you, and how.
    I also have IEClean (that's the one that is always running on my machine) and WindowWasher (I use that one only on-demand), and I have to admit that I use both far more than Internet Cleanup, but that's my own choice.
    Which one do I like the most: IEClean.
    But WindowWasher has also a very big plus: you can download a lot of add-ons for it from the webroot website to clean lots of things (for example: MostRecentUsed for all kind of programs; that means for example: the list of the last pictures that you viewed in PhotoShop; the pictures themselves are not deleted, only the list). All that cleaning with those add-ons can also be done with Internet Cleanup, but then you have to know exactly how!
    In IEClean you also have an option to add some files to clean.
    BTW: if you're thinking about buying Internet Cleanup, you should definitely also have a look at Ontrack SytemSuite before buying (I myself own that one too).
    I like IEClean the most cause it also allows you to secure IE and OE a lot; it makes it also very easy for you to switch for example between ActiveX disabled<->enabled.

Cleaning and resetting of index.dat and swap-file is a big plus for IEClean (I believe WindowWasher can also do it, but I myself use IEClean for that), defeating of GUID-tracking etc..

So: each of those programs can do things that the other's cannot do, but at the other hand: there are also lots of features that all those programs can do for you.
    The list of what each program is capable to do, would be far too big to post here...

I hope this helps a bit to make your own choice..

3. Lee

Lee Guest

:cool:

I also own Internet Cleanup and systemsuit 4 from Ontrack, I also run Sygate free with the above software on win 98 se with no problems, the teck support from Ontrack is spot on, every time I send a Question I get a reply within the same day, my father in law tried Symantec Utilities and they crashed and foze his systems every time he tried to boot up, to add insult to injury he purchased the software firewall with the Symantec suit and found out about the flaw (PCFLANK TEST SITE) now Symantec have fixed the flaw in a new version of NIS which means he will have to buy a new firewall because it's unlikely that Symantec will release a patch (he purchased the software 4 months ago).
    I would advise anyone to purchase from Ontrack.

Many Thanks

Lee

4. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I hate to throw another one in the mix here, but I found a cleaner I have used for months that it is truly superb. It is called Tracks Eraser Pro. There is a feature called "Plug-In Maker" that is SO simple and quick to make your own plug-ins for applications you use that aren't included already. You can make them to clean files AND registry entries with ease. Plus, it does come with support for many applications with ready-to-go cleanup plug-ins. There is a free trial and I would highly recommend downloading a copy. Even if you have the others - it wouldn't hurt to give this one a try. I have all the others meantioned above and I agree with FanJ on this - it's good to have more than one, because you can have three and they all three have a feature or two that is exclusive. Tracks Eraser PRO is a winner. Make sure you download the PRO version.
    http://www.acesoft.net/features.htm

John
    Luv2Bsecure

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi John,

Thanks for the heads-up about Tracks Eraser PRO !
    I surely will have a look at it.

PS: on a personal note:
    I will answer your IM, sorry for not doing earlier :oops: :oops:

Take care, Jan.

6. luv2bsecure

Hey Jan, Don't worry about it - just whenever you get a chance if you want.

Yes, I think you should give TEP a trial run. Start up that Plug-In Maker too and check it out. It's a stand alone program that will be in the same directory after installation. It's a beauty when combined with all the plug-ins they already have ready to go that can be downloaded from the acesoft site.

Hope you're doing well.....

John
    Luv2BSecure

7. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

lol and i just been runing around with internet sweeper lol

8. Lee

Lee Guest

Just found out , Internet CleanUp sold to VCom. :(

9. Lee

Lee Guest

Sorry my mistake, it's gone to alladin systems :blink:

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

See also here:

About Ontrack:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=3991

11. Lee

Lee Guest

I recieved the same E-Mail, is it a good thing or a bad?, is good software going to endup like it does when Symantec take it over or will it get better.

Lee

12. luv2bsecure

Just my opinion of course, but I think it's a very good thing. It has been clear that Ontrack has been devoting more and more of their time to B2B offerings. That's fine of course, they're good at everything they do - but I think they truly found the perfect buyer.

Vcom has a great reputation and - of course - they're are the swarms that swear by System Commander. CD AnyWhere is the best of its kind on the market.

I think they will take good care in preserving the quality of the former Ontrack products.

John
    Luv2BSecure

13. Lee

Lee Guest

If that's the case John you just made me a happy man, yes I agree Ontrack's software and service support is one of the best in the world and as for VCOM I never heard of them until last week.

Many Thanks

Lee :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.