Internal scanning of files

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by MasterTB, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

I have been using ESS for a while now, but yesterday, looking at the logs for an ondemand scan I found a leggend that said (for packed-zip-rar files) "MIME TIPE OK- Internal scanning not performed", what does this mean?? that ESS does not scan compressed-packed files internally but only the MIME tipe?? what if I download a virus on a zip?? ESS won't detect it until I personally unzip it?? what is wrong with this thing?? I never saw that in V2.7!!!!!

2. OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER Registered Member

I'm pretty sure there'e an option in the settings to turn on scanning in archives. when the file is created, modified or opened it is scaned as well so you have no worries about it getting on your system just because it started out in a zip file.

3. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Well if that optio exists I could not find it. But most important, even if that option is there and I just missed it, there is a reason to worry: first an on demand scan should have an option to be the most complete scan of all, second if the file is in my computer, at some point it was created, right? so if there is no option to scan inside archives how do I know it is safe??

4. OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER Registered Member

chances are it was there before ESS was. if you're concerned about it seeing things in zip files:
    http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

EDIT: Seems the secure .txt file opens and the secure zips download but if you open them to the file it blocks them. Blocks the rest.

5. WYFR

WYFR Registered Member

I know, this thread is kinda old. Anyway, I will push it up the list:

I noticed the same message in NOD32 v.3 ("internal scanning not performed"). I checked whether or not NOD will scan multiple-packed archives (zip in rar and so on). It does. I just created at new file and ziped it, rared it and ziped it again. I followed up with an on-demand scan and NOD did scan the archive.

However, if I perform a system wide on-demand scan I will get these "internal scanning not performed" messages. If I choose to not let NOD scan email files, NOD will however scan dbx files (database files for Outlook Express) that contain emails. If NOD does, the message appears. That's OK of course, because I decided to not have NOD scan email files. So it will only check the header of the dbx file.

But on the other side there is a rar file with over 3,000 files. Some files in the archive will produce the "internal scanning" message. The funny thing is, even txt files (ASCII) from within the archive will appear in the lists of files that are not being scanned.

So something is wrong with this "internal scanning not performed" message.

WYFR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.