interface of 3.0 better than 4.0 beta

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 Beta Forum' started by wiak, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

GUI v4 egui.exe 7MB for me

erken.exe 42 and 53 MB

xp sp3 core duo E6600

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Boring? maybe......Functional? Fully... Easy to use? Yes!
    How many massive networks have you managed? In my personal experience, when it came time to do reimaging, pushing software installs, updating, etc... It was time consuming in W2K, got worse when updated to XP, and bottomed out when moving to Vista.
    Yes it runs faster if you have a massive system. But I'm not talking about loading speed or lag. I'm talking about the layout, the graphics, the interface, the complete system is a turd in my books. Its Microsoft trying to make Windows look more like a Mac.

btw, my computer is one I built myself 8 years ago and it has plenty of horsepower to run Vista, I choose not to because Vista sucks. Maybe it works great for day-to-day users that do nothing besides use IE to check their email and play solitaire, but for sys admins and network managers, its a pain in the butt to do anything with.

3. JuliusB

JuliusB Registered Member

you are saying people are running it on 32MB sdram?
    it does matter if it is 2 times or 3 times or 7 times more memory consuming. does not matter at all. it's still like 5mb. these days 5mb ram means absolutelly totally nothing and giving a program rating based on that "5x times more ram usage" when it's still only super small amount of 5mb of ram...giving a rating based on that in these times is just plain wrong.
    plus it's not only the gui look was improved too so that counts for memory usage too.

4. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

I agree totally :)

5. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Haha, horseshit. The management abilities through Group Policy alone smack the **** out of what XP offers. And there is nothing wrong with trying to make Windows work more like a Mac considering that Apple did a whole lot of things right when it comes to their GUI and usability. XP's only merit at this point is a legacy stable kernel, the GUI is terrible and usability just plain sucks. And don't even get me going on it's "security model".

And for people looking at memory consumption right now, for the love of god what for?! These are beta builds with a ton of debugging code left in it and minimal cleanup or optimization. There is absolute no point in looking at those numbers until release candidates are offered.

6. JuliusB

no it does not.

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Question, how in the heck would you know what it can do. I did not say it hasn't been upgraded over the years. But its got the same motherboard and major components. Upgraded processor, memory and graphics card only and it runs Vista just fine. I've got removable hard drives with multiple OS's for software testing purposes so I think I know what it can and can't run.
    Don't start making accusations you can't back up.

Also, this thread has taken a turn in the wrong direction. I stated my opinion as to why I like v2.7 interface better and reasons to support it, which was the intention of the thread. It was taken and debated from there.

Lets get it back to the original intention of the thread.

8. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

While I agree that the interface for v2.7 is lighter while still being fully functional, it is boring to look at and not very intuitive. An average user is likely to get confused right away, potentially discouraging the user to continue using it.

Also, pretty interfaces can also be a deciding factor when someone is still deciding which application to buy. Aside from the installation, the interface is the first thing a user will see. More often than not, the interface will play a role in that user's "initial impression" of the program. And if the said user is greeted with an ugly, unintuitive interface he or she is more likely to move on to another program.

Like the old adage says... "first impressions last."

9. AA2000

AA2000 Registered Member

in english

instead of thinking about the interface, feel better as I do to continue to consume little RAM memory.

Nod32 shines for its detection ITS NOT LOOK!

I suggest returning to the interface of the version 2.70.39 which consumes 27 mb in total. and not this beta consuming 53 mb, but people will stop using and will become a new Norton AV or Mcafee

Greetings

-------------------------------------------------

in spanish - en español

en vez de seguir pensando la interface, piensen mejor como hacer para que siga consumiendo poca memora RAM.

Nod32 se luce por su deteccion NO POR SU ASPECTO!

Sugiero volver a la interface de la version 2.70.39 que consume 27 mb en total. y no esta beta que consume 53 mb, sino la gente lo va a dejar de usar y se convertira en un nuevo Norton AV o Mcafee

Saludos

10. JuliusB

Agree. It's very important.

11. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

+1, the 2.7 GUI design is horribly unintuitive, hated it completely. Wrt this debate, well uh really people I didn't even notice something has changed b/w v3 and v4 beta, what's the fuss about? o_O :doubt:

12. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I think the new GUI looks good. So did the v3 GUI. Most important about the GUI: make it as fast as possible. One thing i never liked is the % stats. Most of the time its at 0%. If it finds two or three malwares it stays at 0%. I dont see the benefit of it. It also takes more time to see how many malware was found between that armada of zeros %.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2008
  13. dorgane

dorgane Guest

+1
    Statistic infection % is very unnecessary !

I have 406.000 files scanned and if there is 1 virus, it is too 0%...
    And please make more fast menu who expand in advanced mode display !

14. wiak

wiak Registered Member

as i said i agree that eset should think more about self protection of product from viruses instead of interface, the 3.0 interface is great so why mess with it

btw: i have used 4.0 beta for a week now and i like it, the interface is newer and has more stuff, so i dont mind to much, meybe make it so people that love the 3.0 interface can switch to it, just like the text interface!

this will make everyone happy

15. c2d

c2d Registered Member

We can say what we want,but we all know the fact that in this modern world
    most products are selled because of their look and that is also a trend in software industry.

For me personally nothing is more important then quality and functionality of product.I don't care much for program interface but Eset must realize that only fully completed product can be sold to possible new customers.That's the main problem here IMO.

People are seeking for perfection and they are willing to pay for it.Most of the older users I believe will always stay with Eset products as long as they provide their well known high quality but as modern company you have to think of all aspects of this job.

just my 2 cents :thumb:

16. scrtsqurrl

scrtsqurrl Registered Member

All right. I like the new UI in NOD32 V4. It's a nice progression.
    One thing I really don't think much of, and it looks a bit dodgy is the new ESET NOD32 tray icon. Needs a bit more work I think. Looks cheap. :doubt:

17. Concepts

Concepts Registered Member

I like the new GUI and the new icon attached to it. It looks very nice sitting in the sys tray. :)

18. Dave16

Dave16 Registered Member

Just sharing my views on this matter....

I really like the new GUI, maybe I'm one of the few.
    -Though I do think the system tray icon needs to be revamped. I think its very appealing how it forms a blue circle in the middle of the system-tray icon while running a scan, but the outer part is too lightly colored, it DOES look cheap as mentioned before.
    -Obviously this isn't the most important issue of the beta, just again sharing my thoughts and opinions of it.
    -And if changing the system tray icon to look better will have a negative effect on the system, I say leave it.

-Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.