Interactive Mode still not working

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jpom18, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpom18

jpom18 Registered Member

I have been having this problem since the back in the beta days, and I have seen that other people have had the same issue on this forum but I have gone through 5 pages of threads and found no solutions.

The problem is that I prefer to use interactive mode as opposed to automatic mode. I install ESS (3.0.563) and everything is good for around 24 hours after that my internet connection stops working, I have no internal or external connectivity. If I change to automatic mode everything works no problem, if I disable the eset firewall everything works. Sometimes a reboot will bring things back sometimes I have uninstall and then reinstall ESS.

Am I the only one with this problem still, or is there a solution on here that I can't find, or has ESET still not fixed this from the Beta versions and then have the gall to call it a finished product.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You might want to list your operating system, any other firewalls, proxies, or other security software you use or have used on your computer.

Using the interactive mode here on XP Home, SP2, I have had no problems.

3. jpom18

jpom18 Registered Member

Sorry my bad, trying to do a million things at once.

Vista x86
    No Security programs other than ESS
    No Proxies
    Windows Firewall/ICS service disabled

If the connection came back when I disabled the firewall but not when I switched to Automatic Mode I would assume that the problem could be with another program, but that fact that switching out of Interactive Mode to Automatic brings the connection back and then switching back to interactive kills it again makes me things it is directly related to ESS. I have also gone in and removed all "Block" rules with no luck.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

There is a newer version, 3.0.566. Whether this will make any difference in your setup is unknown.

It seems must of the conflicts are occurring with Vista as an operating system.

5. jpom18

jpom18 Registered Member

Well I couldn't find a trial for that version and I am definitly not paying for a program that so far has proved not to work for me.

As it is though I finally figured out (then found the thread here of course) that the half-dozen firewalls I've tried over the last couple days haven't worked because of the ekrn proxy. I also read in the thread that you can go through and check off applications that you want to bypass the proxy but frankly I don't have the time or the patience. Here's an idea although I'm not sure it is possible, why not just provide an option to turn the proxy off and go back to the way it worked in 2.7

So to recount I have yet to see a version of ess that works properly (granted it could just be me) and the new version of NOD32 doesn't play nice with the application blocking ability in any other 3rd party firewalls that I can find. Now I don't know if using this ekrn proxy is all that much more effcient/secure but I do know that by making NOD32 v3 allow applications to bypass other (read:Free) firewalls they are certainly making ESS look better and a part of me wonders how much of it is a money grab.

I also know that from what I've seen lately I'm not overly impressed with the direction ESET is taking and will have to seriously re-consider renewing when my license is up.

I'm hoping ESET will restore my faith as I have loved NOD32 since the day I first saw it, but until then I'll stick with NOD32 2.7 until my license expires and comodo firewall which works perfectly without NOD32 V3.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can disable routing through the proxy as the real-time protection will scan files written to the disk as well. As for bringing IMON back to v3, I'm not sure that everyone here will agree as it used to cause headaches due to the way it worked and it must have been disabled on servers.

7. jpom18

jpom18 Registered Member

Well I tried that and unfortunately found it lacking.

I used this site to test: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

I tested Nod32 v3 with and without http checking turned on and Nod32 v 2.7

v3 with http checking turned on detected the first and third download
    v3 without http checking detected the first download
    v2.7 detected all 4 downloads

now I know that this test is far from conclusive but it might be something to think about.

8. crummock

crummock Registered Member

Just tried the 4 http downloads from the eicar page and with web access protection on all 4 were stopped immediately before getting onto the pc.

With web access protection off the first two are stopped immediately and the 2 zip files were succesfully downloaded. However once you open the zips and try to do anything the real-time protection stops them.

To me it seems to work as I would expect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.