Intelligent print screen?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by pling_man, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

Currently if I want to use the print screen key from a protected website I need to click "Yes" to proceed.

But, as SafeOnline monitors key presses as part of its key logging and secure data protection, why not simply detect the print screen key press, call the windows routine to copy the screen to the clipboard, and then throw the actual key press event away. :rolleyes:

No need for messages. Make the user's life simpler :D

I don't believe this would be insecure as a physical press of the key would be needed. Other attemps to clear the clipboard would just silently be blocked as now.

It's just an idea.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hi pling_man,
    While this is indeed a very good idea, the problem with it is that programs can fake keystrokes in such a way that it is extremely difficult to distinguish between legitimate and illegitimate keystrokes in a reliable manner, especially if those keystrokes are being generated from kernel mode.

That being said, I do believe that the concept has a lot of merit and we'll be doing some research to see if there is a more reliable way of differentiating between keystrokes.

Thanks, as always, for the suggestion :thumb:

3. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

Great. As you say it may not prove "safe" to implement but you can only do the research and see can't you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.