Intel Viiv and Processes

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by xMarkx, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hi,

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium [32-bit] SP1. I have a Dell XPS 420 which I purchased last Christmas (Christmas 2007). I'm using McAfee and Windows Defender (but I want to switch to NOD32).

I notice on the taskbar and in the processes section of the task manager, there is something called Intel Viiv.

What is it and what is it used for? I think it's for digital media. If that's all it's used for, can I remove it in Programs and Features? Or is the Intel Viiv part of my processor..?

I have over 80 processes running before I even open anything (besides Task Manager) myself and I'm trying to reduce that number which is why I want to remove Intel Viiv, if I can.

The weird thing is that when I open Task Manager and look under Processes I don't see the 80+ processes running... it's been like this since I got the computer (same number of processes and task manager not showing all)

Basic Summarized Questions

Why do I have so many processes running? Why is it that the task manager says there are 80+ processes running but shows like half of it? Can I safely remove Intel Viiv in Programs and Features or is it part of my processor so I can't without messinge everything up?

I've gotten some great info here, thanks guys, but I'm still wondering:

Is anyone aware of any problems that could occur when I uninstall Viiv? Does it uninstall any important drivers?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

How can I edit my post..?
    NEVER MIND I found it. [I'm tired I guess]
    I just wanted to add that my Intel Viiv version is 1.7, according to Program and Features.

3. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi Mark,

I find for you ! on Google:

Intel Viiv - is software intended for use ...!
    - is similar to Microsoft Media Center ? ...

Using Add/Remove Programs to uninstall it? ... is your decision!

'Does your Media center software run OK without the Viiv s/w?'

- 'Yes, my Media Center seems to run OK ...'

Read on: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.3c06247f/0

I have Windows XP ... 18 Processes on W.Task Manager ... and 3 icons near horloge ... Start of my Windows = 21 seconds ...

Read also threads: 'Your BEST FAVORITES' and 'Your NEW BEST Free Softwares Anti-Malware and Windows cleaners' on Wilders Security Forums/software & services .

Good luck! PROROOTECT

4. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Okay, thank you, I will read over the link when I have time.

I don't know if my media center runs ok without Intel Viiv... I only use Windows Media Center on occasion and I've always had Intel Viiv as it came with my computer.

5. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

I think I will go ahead and uninstall later this week when I have time.

So to remove it, I just go to Programs and Features and hit uninstall?

I'll still be able to use Windows Media Center right?

And it should speed up my PC..?

6. PROROOTECT

I make disabled ( on ToolbarCop ) : NvMediaCenter ; ehTray.

I have always the Media Center.

GO!

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

xMarkx, I don't think you want to remove Intel Viiv. It seems to be part of your Intel Core™2 processor. I don't have Vista and a Dell so I can't help you further, except to point out Dell™ XPS™ 420 Documentation that could assist you in speeding up that PC. Perhaps someone else will give you advice soon.

8. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hi,

Is it really part of my processor? If it is, then why is it listed in Add or Remove Programs, suggesting that you can remove it. Isn't it just software?

The logo for the Intel Viiv is on my PC but it doesn't say "Intel Core 2 Viiv Inside" it just says "Intel Viiv" in colorful letters. I'm really confused now... should I still remove it..?

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Your Operating System Service Packs, Fixes and Updates are also part of Add or Remove Programs but you would not want to get rid of them. Your best bet is to contact Dell, via their support forum since your PC is still under warranty, and see what they say about removing Intel Viiv. I would not remove it.

10. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

When I got my Acer desktop, it had Viiv installed (even has a Viiv case badge on front of the tower). But when I went from 32bit to 64, I could not find a x64 version of Viiv. In fact Acer made no mention of it. So I have been running it without Viiv since last May with no ill effects.

I never really understood what Viiv was. According to the Wikipedia article, it mentions:

My Vista Media Center does fine without it and my Home Server makes a great media server as well.

11. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Thanks.

I don't really completely understand what Viiv is either. Do you think I should remove it? I've looked everywhere on the internet to whether I should remove it or not and am getting Yes or No with no precise reason for either answer.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

may as well keep viiv installed.
    what are the other of the 80 processes.
    80 is alot.

13. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread -- really appreciate it.

Hi,

Why may I as well keep Viiv installed?

I don't need it, unless it's part of my processor and I need the drivers, and I am still unsure if it's just software or software and drivers, too. How I can tell if I NEED it? I haven't been able to get hold of a Dell agent who knows anything yet..
    I can't see all my processes... usually says there are between 8x-9x running but if I look under Task Manager under Processes, not even half are listed. It's not adware etc or anything as it's been like this since I got the computer.

14. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Uninstall it.
    Info about Viiv™ Technology.

Panagiotis

15. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I think I will go ahead and uninstall.

Are you aware of any problems that could occur when I do? Does it uninstall any important drivers?

Regards,

Mark.

16. PROROOTECT

Mark: Make download of ToolbarCop; then notch Disabled , not Remove. See my post #6.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    acually looking at the post below uininstall intel viiv.
    download process explorer
    it will show all the running processes.
    if you want to fine out more information about the system processes right click on it and run as adminstrator. i dont reccomended leaving it in that mode thou. PS when taking a screenshot cut of the top bar which shows your username and computer information because it maybe privcate information
    the best way i think is to post a screenshot here so we can help you get rid of anything that isnt needed.
    download autoruns as well.
    once you lanch autoruns go to options and tick hide microsoft (cant remember what it says after hide microsoft but im sure you can find it) then relanch it. show a screenshot of that as well. PS when taking a screenshot cut of the top bar which shows your username and computer information because it maybe privcate information

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  18. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Okay, thanks for your tips.

Right now I'm a little preoccupied with an error message I began receiving yesterday about 10 minutes after I boot up: "ERROR: Unable to start the bluetooth stack service".

Always something wrong with computers :(

19. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

So should I go ahead and uninstall it then?

Will it delete any important and vital drivers, and mess up my computer?

Has anyone ever uninstalled it before on their machine and are aware of any potential problems that could occur?

20. pandlouk

If you have Vista SP1 you'd better uninstall it.

It is possible that it will mess a bit with intel's wifi and bluetooth drivers.

Advise:
    1. Before uninstalling it make a restore point.
    2. Go at intel and download the necessary drivers for your devices (just in chase you need to update them after uninstalling it).

Panagiotis

21. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hi,

I'm not sure how to create a restore point. Also, I'm not sure what Intel devices I have... I didn't request for any Intel software, drivers etc but Dell gave the Intel Viiv software (1.7) anyways and loads of other stuff too :/

22. pandlouk

- You will find the restoration tool of windows under the start -> programs -> accessories -> system tools.

- Just go at the support page on Dells website. They have the latest drivers and other updates for the applications that came with your pc.

Panagiotis

23. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Thank you to everyone who replied in this thread.

I decided to finally uninstall it this evening and so for, no apparent problems. It doesn't look like it uninstalled any important drivers (but I did make a system restore point like suggested just to be safe). There are much less processes running now!

I will let you know if any problems arise.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.