intel matrix raid

Discussion in 'hardware' started by lodore, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    in a few weeks i will be buying a dell xps 420
    i was looking at the features of the intel x38 chipset.
    i found the Intel Rapid Recover Technology quite interesting.
    link
    link2
    download the pdf file from link 2 top search result.
    does that mean i can have raid 0 for speed and also backup all the data on hard drive 1 to a second hard drive using Intel Rapid Recover Technology?
    thanks in advance
    lodore

2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

yes it does. i am using it now. you can have 2 raids, raid 0 and raid 1 on just 2 drives at same time. the performance and backup safety together. if you have 3 hard drives. you can have raid 0 and raid 5 together but thats another story. that dell xps 420 will make a nice gaming machine.

heres info on x38 chipset.
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=462&type=expert

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  3. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

If you have a core 2 duo, conroe already then i strongly advise you to not upgrade now and wait till end of 2008 because it be the launch of Nehalem, it will be whole new architecture. Nehalem will need a new motherboard, new memory and a new power supply. It give some major speed enhancements. It be the end of the northbridge on mothertboard and a intergrated memory controller into the cpu. This will drop a huge bomb on Amd. The x38 chipset in that dell will give you only DDR2 memory and x38 isn't optimised for DDR3 memory yet. You have DDR2 and miss out on DDR3 which will take off properly soon. Just upgrade your graphics card and memory for now. Intel follow a Tic-Tac principle, every 2 years bring out a new processor. There's a paradigm shift happening so fight the urge to upgrade unless money no problem. :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.