Intel completes McAfee acquisition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kernelwars, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

2. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

thx for update .. wish McAfee improves.. seems unlikely atleast now

3. get_it

get_it Registered Member

Whats next...?

Embedded anti-virus in CPU?

4. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

That actually is the plan.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

just because they acquired mcafee doesnt mean u will start seeing AV's in ur CPU in the near future, we dont quite know what they plan to do with mcafee for sure

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Oh! No please.... :'(

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That plan will have me going back to AMD.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I hope AV's don't creep into our hardware :eek:

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Actually it seems more likely than ever to me now as a direct result of the purchase.

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

That was exactly my thought. I just hope AMD won't fight back and also acquire some security company and do the same. :D

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

If Intel does it, AMD will too. From a business standpoint, they'd be idiotic not to. On the subject of antivirus in hardware: *sniffs the air around himself* I smell another "wave of the future" proclamation on its way :rolleyes:

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, they would be idiotic not to do it too. But, I don't think Intel will do it. I mean, let's face it: AFAIK, there are only two home users targeted CPU manufacturers - Intel and AMD. Let's imagine Intel does do it, and that AMD buys a security company and does it too.
    Where would this leave every other security vendor? Out of home users market? I have my doubts they would let it happen without a strong fight. Intel may be powerful ($), but security vendors together will also be powerful, specially the major ones that wouldn't be picked by AMD.
    Somehow, I have a strong belief Intel won't do it, because it would be unfair competition and the other security vendors wouldn't have CPU manufacturers (targeting home users) they could turn to.

Let's see what happens.

-edit-

They also wouldn't have much room in server CPU manufacturers either, I guess. What, Intel and AMD? (I don't keep track of such stuff, so I don't know what else is out there. lol)

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The only thing that goes through my head is the same thing that goes through it when speaking of the "cloud"...how are we going to know if it's secure? Just like the cloud, (leaving out being able to backup data locally), it would be leaving security in the hands of others. We've already dealt with fake CPUs, malware in hardware straight from the factories, you name it. I can easily see this becoming a problem if this goes through.

As far as security vendors being ticked off, eh, doubtful. I can assure you I have no clue how this would all be worked out, but an entire, full-blown AV on a CPU I just don't see happening, at least not yet. There would be plenty left for AV companies to offer, and we're leaving out the firewall vendors, anti-malware people, and specialized companies that deal with sandboxing, HIPs and such.

14. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If so hopefully AMD will buy someone better than McAfee. In my opinion that will not be difficult. :D

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I doubt anything built into the CPU will be as good as a full featured anti-malware software - the protection is likely to be rudimentary at best, a kind of "first line of defense". Therefore, I believe AVs will still be needed even after such features are integrated into the CPUs. Also, Intel can make a lot more money selling McAfee as software (note that McAfee has many customers) and thus they will want to maximize their profits.

CPUs are still just electronics in the end. There is a difference between hardware and software, and doing such things in hardware is tedious and expensive.

16. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

17. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I don't think AMD can really buy any big players in the AV industry :D
    Their profits isn't the most optimistic around :D and they lost lots of money in previous quarters (Like 1 or 2 years ago)

19. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

You don't need a big player, you need a good player. Webroot certainly didn't pay billions for Prevx. And what would you rather use: McAfee or Prevx?

And I should clarify that short term they are apparently looking into using McAfee not on the CPU but as an incorporation in the LAN chipset. So it would be kinda sorta like having security software on a Gateway (à la Finjan M86).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.