Intel Atom not supporting linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by aigle, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Too bad. The one hope is that:

Still, it seems that Intel is shafting Linux, at least to some extent, here.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Means no go for Ubuntu on MS surface.:'(

4. It uses a newfangled power management system that Windows 8 will support, but Linux doesn't support yet. I figure support for that will eventually show up in Linux, seeing as it would be very useful on laptops and servers.

Anyway I very much doubt that they deliberately crippled it to choke on Linux kernels, or something along those lines. My guess is the marketing guys simplified "Linux doesn't support the advanced CPU features yet" to "It won't run Linux."

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

That's evil of Intel.

6. Poor form if you ask me, Intel needs to work closer with Linux developers because it's allready got control of the server market and Linux desktop is growing well.]

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The work was done under contract with M$, and intel intends to keep the new technology used close to its vest for the time being, at least until Linux is able to handle it.

-- Tom

8. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

We'll release the hardware design documentation after you've reverse engineered everything?

9. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

AMD too supposedly: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2205758/amds-hondo-will-only-support-windows-8-at-launch

10. AMD is dead, stupid logic by a company that has gotten worse over the years. R.I.P

11. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

ATOM is **** anyways. They're shooting themselves in the foot here - ATOM is meant for low powered devices, in a lot of ways to compete with ARM for the tablet and phone market.

By saying ATOM can't run linux (well it can, just not supported) they're shooting themselves in the foot.

12. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

At the rate Intel is lowering the power consumption for their hardware, I highly doubt they are even close to *****. I would bet on Intel domination on mobile market in a few years. And to be honest I don't know what's with this news. One of the 1st clients of the Intel mobile processor is Motorola owned by Google, and according to Wikipedia, Google & Intel announced a partnership to support Android.

13. Hungry Man

I wouldn't. ARM has a way better reputation for low power devices. ATOM has improved a lot but performance is awful - I think the latest ATOM CPUs still don't feature OooE. This is probably due to wanting ULV but, regardless, performance is really poor and ARM has a really solid hold on the market. Intel is betting on Microsoft tablets doing well.

14. Bulldozer is/was a huge flop from AMD. I can't see them beating Intel since Ivy-bridge is 77W where as Bulldozer is 125W. AMD is way behind sadly.

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Why is it always about power consumption?
    Who cares what your desktop draws.
    Mrk

16. Hungry Man

Because ATOM is aimed at notebooks and Intel is trying to break into the tablet market, of course.

17. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

The CPUs have reached a point where even the low entry ones can do the browsing, mailing and all the other office stuff without a problem. So they need to improve somewhere and one of those things is power consumption.

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Sure, but that's not the only factor.
    Mrk

19. It's a big factor though, anyway from reading these new Intel chips are just to make MS happy, the next round of ARM chips will include android apparently.

20. lotuseclat79

Intel's new Clover Trail chip will support Android and Linux.

Reference: Intel's new Clover Trail chip will support Android and Linux.

-- Tom

21. lotuseclat79

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.