Intel Alert Service has stopped working and closed

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Nikilet, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikilet

Nikilet Registered Member

This started recently and I have no idea why because at the time it started I hadn't installed anything or made any changes.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium. Every time I boot I get a pop up that states Intel Alert Service has stopped working and shut down.

I went to Add/Remove, clicked on the Intel Viiv and selected to change. But it isn't solving the problem. I have downloaded the Intel Viiv 1.7 but don't know if I should install it or not since it's not working to start with. Can anyone help, please?

2. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hi,

Updating to the latest version, 1.7 , of the Intel Viiv software may resolve the error message issue. If not, consider removing it in Control Panel>Program and Features unless you actually use the software.

Regards,

Mark

PS - Using iPod Touch to type this, LOL, took forever and my wrist is throbbing!

3. Nikilet

I did update and it worked, but your reply brings another question. You said "unless I actually use the software." I don't know if I use it. I don't know what it is. Could you explain?

4. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

The software is used as a media server for connecting your computer to your TV.

Read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Viiv

(They are basically discontinuing the software.)

Regards,

Mark.
    Sorry for the slow response.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  5. Nikilet

I don't use my computer in conjunction with my TV in any way; however, what about the Intel Alert Service? Is this something I do need? If so, apparently it will not work unless I have the latest version of Intel Viiv.

In Remove Programs I see there are 3 listings for Intel: the Viiv, Matrix Storage Manager and PRO Network Connection Drivers.

Under Services I see there are 9 listings for Intel.

I hate to keep bugging you but please help me to understand this a little better as I'm all for removing things I don't need.

Thank you lots!

6. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hi,

I was having a similar problem as you. I didn't use my computer in conjunction with my TV so I didn't need the Intel Viiv software. My computer was running 80+ processes and I thought that was crazy high to I wanted to get rid of things I didn't need, like Intel Viiv. I'm still trying to reduce the number of processes I have running now...

But I was confused as to whether it was safe to uninstall Intel Viiv as uninstalling it might result in other important Intel drivers not working. I have the PRO network Connection listed in my Programs and Features list, too (even after uninstalling Intel Viiv as this appears to be a seperate driver from the Intel Viiv Software).

I went ahead and uninstalled the Intel Viiv Software only and everything seems to be okay. All the processes like the Intel Alert Service etc are pretty much gone now. I didn't touch the PRO Network Connection as I believe it is needed for my internet connection. I don't have the Matrix Storage Manager so either I never had it or it was removed when I uninstalled Intel Viiv Software and uninstalling it didn't harm my PC.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. : If you still have any doubts, make a restore point before uninstalling the Intel Viiv Software or, if you prefer, don't uninstall it. If you are going to uninstall it, just uninstall the Intel Viiv Software, not the drivers like the PRO Network Connection. Also, I would highly recommend looking at the post I myself made regarding whether it was safe to uninstall Intel Viiv a few weeks ago:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=227236

Let me know what you decide to do. Good luck :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  7. Nikilet

Mark

Thank you so much for your response. I also read your original post which you gave a link to.

I still am undecided. I did go into the Services panel and set it to start manually rather than automatic.

I notice when I type msconfig into my run box and go to services there that it is checked to run at start up. I wonder what would happen if I unchecked that? I may try that if I get enough courage. I've had so many little problems that I'm getting gun shy.

Thanks again,
    Nikilet

8. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hi,

Just out of curiousity, how did you end up obtaining the Intel Viiv Software?

Did it come with your PC? If so, what brand/model of PC is it?

My Intel Viiv Software came with my PC (although it's long gone now). My PC is a Dell XPS 420. It came with a lot of crapware I didn't need (Roxio, Elements, Viiv, the list goes on).

Regards,

Mark.

9. Nikilet

Same story here -- Dell XPS410.

I too have Roxio but assumed I needed that for my DVD and CDR drives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.