Integrity of FD-ISR Archives

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by estervantes, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. estervantes

estervantes Registered Member

I've been using FD-ISR for a few weeks and I can see great advantages in using it. However, I am concerned after having read on this forum of the experiences of some who have had archives go bad. I am relying on archives on a separate partition as the mainstay of my system restore approach. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone might answer.

Firstly, any suggestions as to why they might become corrupted and what one should do to preserve their integrity?

Secondly, what advantages, if any, are there to having an external hard drive over an additional internal one in this matter?

Last, I'm going to extend my system partition using diskpart.exe so that I can make space to put XP on an empty snapshot. Any ideas as to whether doing this - extending the system partition with diskpart.exe - might adversely affect my use of FD-ISR or back-up software?

Thanks for your help.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Actually in the several years of FDISR, I've never had an archive become corrupted, other than by having the machine hang during archive update.(Not caused by FDISR)

I wouldn't recommend keeping the archives on the same physical disk as your system. That way they can serve as an aid to recovery in event of a disk failure. I keep archives, on both 2nd internal drive, and external drives.

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Internal harddisks are always on-line and therefore vulnerable to malware.
    When I surf on the internet, I protect my second HDD, which contains all my data, with Sandboxie. Sandboxie locks my second HDD automatically when I use Firefox. Locking = no reading, no writing, no stealing, no nothing and Sandboxie does that very well.

I never turn on my external harddisk, when I'm connected to the internet.

Like Peter already said : archives are very reliable and I use them since March 2006 without problems.
    I use my archives to clean my snapshots, instead of using scanners, registry cleaners, history cleaners, junk cleaners, ...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I don't think that I have corrupted actual archives .... I have have had problems restoring into snapshot ...imcompatible VSS server (now fixed)

But archives have been solid ... keep them safe on a different drive.

Never used dispart ...... a non destructive parttion manager should work. Under no circumstance should you format the drive (in any snapshot) it will wipe everything

5. estervantes

estervantes Registered Member

Peter, ErikAlbert and Starfish...thanks for the information.

It has been through reading your posts on this forum that I came to use FD-ISR...and it has made using my computer so much more hassle-free.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Archives of FD-ISR original versions are a windows users LifeGuard!
    With just these archives whether on system or alternate drive for emergency recall purposes when system drive or even FD-ISR program files have been compromised as well as snapshots, file infector virus or system malfunction corrupting program/snapshots as i've experienced twice so far, those archives reconstruct in it's entirety your snapshots completey and 100% stable/useable again.

The INTEGRITY of these archives were developed very well and they,ve proven a perfect failsafe fallback measure unmatched or found in any other ISR ever conceived IMHO.

Instead of regret, in those archives, a user has a parachute to maintain the preservation of their snapshots and bring them back again and again whenever the need arises. So much similar as an imaging program IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.