InstantRecovery and Kaspersky

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by sukarof, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have noticed that IR pre-boot is disabled all of a sudden. I had that problem when I first installed IR on my SSD. I thought it just were a glitch. But now that I have reinstalled Windows 8 I notice that all of a sudden I can not boot to snapshots I´ve made. I made the second snapshot and booted back and forth without problem. Then I installed KIS 2014 and now I cant boot.

I remembered (well..did a search here :) ) that there were some problems with FDISR and Kaspersky-products back in the day. I thought that was solved after version 5 of KAV?
    Anyone else who have Kaspersky and InstantRecovery have this problem?

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Whoaaaa, sukarof, now you are REALLY testing my memory. Yes, a VERY old version of Kaspersky did indeed hose the original First Defense, and I believe you nailed the correct version of K. It had to do with Alternate Data Streams. That version of Kaspersky not only hosed FDISR but also several other programs and within weeks K offered version 6, or whatever its name, which eliminated the ADS.

By then I had given my paid-for-license away to another member at Wilders ... I DID NOT THEN AND NEVER HAVE SINCE TRUSTED ANY PROGRAM THAT MESSED WITH THE ORIGINAL FDISR and will not trust any program that messes with the new InstantRecovery.

That was a very looooong time ago, sukarof, and if you are using a recent version of Kaspersky (like from the last many, many years) you should have nothing to worry about.

Acadia

3. sukarof

I uninstalled KIS and InstantRecovery and reinstalled IR and I got the pre-boot back. I will run without KIS to see if the problem returns.

4. sukarof

I have now installed Bitdefender internet security and it seems to work fine with IR, I can boot back and forth to the snapshots. I installed KIS 2014 in another snapshot and the problem with pre-boot reappeared. I can not boot to another snapshot after the install of KIS 2014.

I can not draw any other conclusion than that KIS 2014 is not compatible with InstantRecovery, at least not in my machine. It would be interesting to know if any KIS 2014-user has the same problem.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmmm, interesting sukarof. I apologize if I led you astray. Wonder if the newer KIS messes with the MBR in some way?

Acadia

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't believe that IR uses the MBR for anything.

Pete

7. controler

controler Guest

I think they were try to say KIS messes with MBR not IR?

8. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Sukarof try to disable Kaspersky's self-defense.
    I do not use KIS but I think that protects/prevents any modification in the boot sequence of the OS. A friend of mine with KIS 2013 could not even run a chdsk/f during boot-time when it was activated.

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.