Instant Crash on Anti-Virus Scan

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Ruro Jiruries, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruro Jiruries

Ruro Jiruries Registered Member

Hallo folks,

I just downloaded the latest version from the Official Download page, installed the Trial verison of ESET Smart Security. It all loads and operates fine, but when running a Custom Antivirus scan, it at some point, caused an Instant Computer Restart.
    This may be in part because of my Critical Crash settings for Windows XP I have configured, rather then crashing to a BSOD or whatever rolls on XP by default these days.

The first time it happened, I just assumed it was a one off. The custom scan is only scanning the C:\ drive, and the Operating Memory. It made it past the Windows folder, and somewhere in Program Files the Crash of Death occured.

So I just tried again, everything the same (except I excluded the Windows folder from the Scan, since that was a long scan, but successfully quarantined all that was found). But it crashed again, somewhere amongst the Program Files folders.

Any suggestions? I realise this could be a scarce one off issue, and the answer will hardly be obvious, thus I'm guessing there is usually some sort of Log I can supply that ESET Smart Security mantains; enlighten me if so, and I will happily attach to a next post.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 btw, with no other Anti-Virus or Firewall software present (With the exception of the Windows stuff, but I prevent the Windows Security Centre to load on startup, and the Windows Firewall is Disabled within it anyway).

Thanks for your support! Sorry if I missed any key information, I'll supply it by request of course.

EDIT: Just run another Custom Scan, except I did all the C:\ Drive, excluding the Windows Folder & Programs Folder. It doesn't say much, except there is some pain the butt folder lurking in Program Files that makes my System cry :/ I suppose the only thing to do, is perhaps run it again, solely on the Program Files and keep a real keen eye on where it Buggers up o_O My computer can surive another disaster I think, I'm not losing any files/fragments when Windows Disc Checker goes to work when it reboots. I'll prep my PC for it and report back soon after it crashes :p

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. Ruro Jiruries

Ruro Jiruries Registered Member

Perhaps a waste of time, I don't know, but solely scanning the Program Files revealed Zero system restarts.

Perhaps it's the scanning of the Operating Memory (Which I excluded this time), is there any known issues with this aspect of the scan? Oh wells, regardless, it seems to work... in ways o_O I might still purchase the software, heh, see how I get on with it over the next month.

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

My initial thought is a conflict with another program (device driver, service or application) installed on the computer. In order to help troubleshoot this, please download a copy of ESET SysInspector, create a log file and email it to support@eset.sk with a link to this message thread.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.