Installing True Image on my Windows 98 and now my machine is down and can not come up

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BenF, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenF

BenF Guest

I just purchased The Acronis True Image v9.0 full software. I installed it on my windows 98 that is running my company software.

Tried to do an image to a USB Hard disk for backup reasons and it said that it needed to reboot the machine to complete the steps. It rebooted but crashed and I can not get the machine to work again. I managed to get in under safe mode to try to remove the software, but have had no success. I can not reinstall the software since I can only get in under safe mode and that will not let me access my CD where the image of the software resides.

The error that I get is the following:

Exiting due to signal SIGABRT

Raised at eip=0029af7e

Eax=0046321c ebx=00000120 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=004190bc edi=--423334

Ebp=004632c8 esp=00463218 program=

cs: sel=0107 base=800b1000 limit=0046ffff

ds: sel=010f base=800b1000 limit=0046ffff

es: sel=010f base=800b1000 limit=0046ffff

fs: sel=00ff base=0000b520 limit=0000ffff

gs: sel=0117 base=00000000 limit=0010ffff

ss: sel=010f base=800b1000 limit=0046ffff

App stack: [00463334..00423334] Exceptn stack: [00423288..00421348]

Call frame traceback EIPs:

0x0029aea4

0x0029af7e

0x0029767b

0x00004188

0x000041a5

0x002a05c5

0x00297147

I need immediate help since without this machine my business is down.

2. ialora

ialora Guest

I've got the exact same problem. I hope someone can help us soon. :(

-Irene-

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

That is an interesting error (well not for you of course :) ).

This error often happens with a DOS/cmd line maybe linux based program, where a call is made to either, a physical memory address that doesn't exist (in the mind of windows) or its looking for an error function to exit gracefully and can't find it on the stack.

Anyhow what type of imaging did you try? Standard images don't require a reboot when making a copy.

By any chance was this to the Secure Zone?

Colin

4. ialora

ialora Guest

I was using the clone feature in auto mode to copy my primary (boot drive) to a brand new unpartitioned drive connected as the secondary drive. This is the main reason I bought TI9. It specifically said it would do that and make it bootable. I should have been able to swap out the drive afterwards and bootup from it just like before. Now I can only bootup Win98 in safe mode. I'm really dissappointed with this program.

-Irene-

5. ialora

ialora Guest

Oh, and I should have mentioned that it didn't do anything to the new drive. It's still unpartitioned. All TI did was hose my system. :mad:

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I am most interested in this thread, as I run W98SE too.

I haven't bought/upgraded yet to TI-9.

But I would like to hear all and every details with respect to Windows 98 SE here in this thread from Acronis.

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Check that the USB drivers for the external harddrive ARE 98SE ones.

Within Windows, can you see and successfully transfer files to/from?

From the DOS prompt under Windows can you see the drive ? Type cd 'your usb drive letter' then dir /p

Is the USB drive formatted as FATx? X= 16 or 32

Is your computer system new enough for the BIOS to allow booting from a USB device?

What happens if you use the boot disk (Acronis one), does it see the drive?

I recall that 98SE was a bit iffy on somethings and can't recall if it allows FAT32 formatting.

Colin

8. ialora

ialora Guest

In my case, I'm not cloning to a USB drive and I had the same thing happen. Yes, Win98se uses FAT32 and that's what my primary hard drive is formatted as. The hard drive I was cloning to is unpartitioned and connected as a slave. Yes, my system bios as well as TI see (saw) the drive.

9. ialora

ialora Guest

OK, I'm able to bootup into Win98se normally again. This program is insidious. You can't even uninstall it. It would still die with the same message. You need to get rid of the shell command that TI adds to your system.ini file. It actually creates a backup of your original and names it Acroniss.ini. You can either delete the "ShellName=..." line at the bottom of the [386Enh] or delete you system.ini file and rename the Acroniss.ini file to system.ini. That'll stop it from doing whatever it's trying to do that causes the error listed in the first posting. I recommend the delete and rename option. It looks like it also turns off your paging file and who knows what else. So it would be best to restore the backup copy of your system.ini file that TI made. So now I'm back to the beginning and wonder how I'm going to clone my C: drive without having this happen again. :O)

10. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

You might investigate using the TI bootable CD to do the cloning. Since that runs LINUX, directly from the CD, it should (in theory) not need to make any changes to win98, or anything on the hard drive for that matter. Rather, it should just clone from one drive to another.

The one wrinkle I can forsee is that cloning to a USB drive, or a plain IDE drive in a USB enclosure, may somehow be dfferent than cloning from one internal UDE drive to another internal IDE drive. Even if it works without error, I am less than 100% sure that you will be able to boot from the new drive, especially under win98. win98 (i.e., DOS with a fancy interface) is rather inflexible about booting from anything but the primary hard drive on the first IDE controller, which must but set to "master or cable select", but never to "slave". Of course, the PC itself can boot from a floppy or a CD, but that is a function of its BIOS, not of win98. In fact, some PC can boot from USB pen drives, ZIP rives, etc. Again, that is a matter of BIOS settings in combination with the right operating system.

Be sure never to try booting a PC with two (or more) operating systems, unless all but one of them is hidden. In other words, if you do successfully clone the original hard drive, be sure to disconnect it and replace it with the new one, before booting from any hard drive. Booting from floppy or CD with both drives containing operating systems attached is OK, so long as the boot order is floppy, CD, then hard drive last. You may need to change that in the BIOS bfore proceeding with the cloning.

11. ialora

ialora Guest

I booted from a TI boot CD that I made on another system. I'd bought the download version of TI90, so I didn't have a bootable CD to start with. Anyway, cloning while booted up from the CD worked. I'm now booting from my new hard drive. Unfortunately, for some reason it didn't do the 4th partition on the drive. It shows drive F:, but it appears to be unformated with nothing on it. Sheesh! :(

-Irene-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.